Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Red Flag Linux Does Its First Major Release In Years

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,101

    Default Red Flag Linux Does Its First Major Release In Years

    Phoronix: Red Flag Linux Does Its First Major Release In Years

    Red Flag Linux, a long-standing Chinese Linux distribution that originated within the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1999, has seen its first major release in years. The Red Hat derived Linux distribution now has many modern open-source packages...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1Nzk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I thought Red flag was dead and replaced by Kylin, seems like i was wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    That's quite the jump...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,103

    Default Long time

    Wow last release 2009, that is many years.

    I hope they contribute upstreams so the rest of us non-Chinese can benefit from this too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I hope they contribute upstreams so the rest of us non-Chinese can benefit from this too.
    I don't think they have much to contribute to begin with...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I don't think they have much to contribute to begin with...
    IIRC they do contribute but mainly localization stuff.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    IIRC they do contribute but mainly localization stuff.
    Well, the Chinese OEMs at least have been generally GPL compliant lately. There haven't been a new Chinese SoC in the last year or two that hasn't released it's linux\android kernel sources. They don't make much of an effort to mainline though...

    Generally speaking, there's a lot of ARM MiniPCs on aliexpress I'm seeing with A31s and RK3188s. So, if I had to guess, I'd say there's government contracts for school classes, administration offices and even servers in the works that specify a preference for Chinese designed\made hardware\software and this is either a real candidate or a threat for foreign contractors to lower the prices.

    I'm actually hoping it will take off. If linux gets enough government sanctioned traction in China we'd be seeing drivers for their SoCs. Maybe even not just binary blobs but real code...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    IIRC they do contribute but mainly localization stuff.
    Right. Red Flag Software is also one of Asianux Consortum founders focusing on Asian market mainly China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam and Thailand.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I wonder if gNewSense will be the next distro to crawl out of 2009.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    Well, the Chinese OEMs at least have been generally GPL compliant lately. There haven't been a new Chinese SoC in the last year or two that hasn't released it's linux\android kernel sources. They don't make much of an effort to mainline though...

    Generally speaking, there's a lot of ARM MiniPCs on aliexpress I'm seeing with A31s and RK3188s. So, if I had to guess, I'd say there's government contracts for school classes, administration offices and even servers in the works that specify a preference for Chinese designed\made hardware\software and this is either a real candidate or a threat for foreign contractors to lower the prices.

    I'm actually hoping it will take off. If linux gets enough government sanctioned traction in China we'd be seeing drivers for their SoCs. Maybe even not just binary blobs but real code...
    Oh wow, that's quite a leap there.

    Most of the time, they don't release anything. Sometimes OEMS's 'release' or rather leak some stuff. The A31* btw is a horrible CPU and won't ever be truly supported since it features a PowerVR GPU. Ask phoronix how that is ... The A20 however should be an awesome SoC, like it's little brother, the A10.

    Allwinner actually did leak their entire git tree (by accident?) so that's a major win for us users TRYING to get stuff rewritten and mainlined. So while they do certainly try a little harder, it's not by much. That said, most of the dumps usually don't even build or have other issues. It's a miracle those dumps actually do work internally for them, as it's a horrible mess most of the time.

    For more info, check out http://linux-sunxi.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •