Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GCC vs. LLVM/Clang On AMD's FX-8350 Vishera

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
    You'd think they'd classify OpenMP support as high priority?
    It only matters on a handful of apps that most people don't care much about. Winning Phoronix benchmarks is not what should define a high priority item. In the mean time, if GCC provides substantial improvements for a particular app, use it to compile that app. There's no reason to think that you must be forced to use only one compiler or the other. Or do all your development with Clang and final releases with GCC. Whatever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    It only matters on a handful of apps that most people don't care much about. Winning Phoronix benchmarks is not what should define a high priority item. In the mean time, if GCC provides substantial improvements for a particular app, use it to compile that app. There's no reason to think that you must be forced to use only one compiler or the other. Or do all your development with Clang and final releases with GCC. Whatever works for you.
    I see it the other way round: why should you use a compiler which Apple can easily proprietize, if it does not offer a really big advantage over a compiler which is ensured to stay free? Why invest time in proprietizeable tools?

Because this still bugs me (and it was not the first time that I saw tests which were skewed in favor of LLVM) I now blogged about this: http://draketo.de/light/english/free...ng-amd-vishera