Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Blender 2.67 Nears With New Features

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,387

    Default Blender 2.67 Nears With New Features

    Phoronix: Blender 2.67 Nears With New Features

    A new release candidate build of version 2.67 for the Blender modelling software is now available. The Blender 2.67 update will be introducing several new features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2MDI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    209

    Default

    This is a pretty nice release, as far as new features. SSS has been sorely needed in Cycles, though I still only use Cycles on a limited basis at the moment because I made the terrible mistake of buying an AMD card just before Cycles was released. So I don't get any of the benefits that come with using Cycles with Cuda and I think I may die of old age before the Khronos group gets OpenCL sorted for use with Cycles.

    I am much more excited about Freestyle finally making it in though, been following the development of that for years now. In many situations I prefer an NPR style and Freestyle makes that a lot easier.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    I think I may die of old age before the Khronos group gets OpenCL sorted for use with Cycles.
    You understand it wrong because it is not a mistake from Khronos nor Blender Foundation but it comes from AMD. Problem is that AMD driver Catalyst is unable to compile Cycles.
    Hopefully you won´t have to die from old age because there is another possibility of getting Cycles on AMD GPU...it is the Mesa driver which is getting better and better and hopefully in near future Cycles will be ported to Mesa.

    For Blender release there are some nifty features (Freestyle, Pynodes, Terxture paint refactoring) but I am a bit disappointed about Pie menu because it was delayed
    But still nice release indeed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braffe View Post
    You understand it wrong because it is not a mistake from Khronos nor Blender Foundation but it comes from AMD. Problem is that AMD driver Catalyst is unable to compile Cycles.
    Except that Nvidia's OpenCL implementation couldn't compile Cycles shaders either. The problem is with the OpenCL spec in this case. AMD can't do much about it without breaking compatibility with the OpenCL spec, which no one wants. Until an updated version of OpenCL is made available that can handle the Cycles use case we won't be seeing any useful work on this front.

    [Edit: I looked into it some more, apparently OpenCL for both Nvidia and AMD cards can compile the Cycles kernel if you have enough memory (and time) available. Nvidia requires a fair bit less at about 6.5+ GB of RAM while AMD needs over 31 GB. Part of that is hardware differences where AMD cards inline everything, but neither case is really acceptable, which just comes back to how OpenCL is specified in the first place.]
    Last edited by IanS; 04-28-2013 at 07:41 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Except that Nvidia's OpenCL implementation couldn't compile Cycles shaders either. The problem is with the OpenCL spec in this case. AMD can't do much about it without breaking compatibility with the OpenCL spec, which no one wants. Until an updated version of OpenCL is made available that can handle the Cycles use case we won't be seeing any useful work on this front.
    From my ignorant point of view... how come there are many commercial programs (Photoshop, password crackers, video editors, etc) that use OpenCL with no issues ? Is it really a limitation of OpenCL, or a lack of knowledge by the main Cycles programmer (Brecht van Lommel) ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,269

    Default

    Haha, AMD and Nvidia should really send their blob compiler guys to some "how to do compilers (and software!) right" courses.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    From my ignorant point of view... how come there are many commercial programs (Photoshop, password crackers, video editors, etc) that use OpenCL with no issues ? Is it really a limitation of OpenCL, or a lack of knowledge by the main Cycles programmer (Brecht van Lommel) ?
    The problem is the AMD OpenCL implementation. It seems like the compiler will inline all function calls, which makes running any somewhat more complex kernels like Cycles impossible. AMD are aware of the issue and working to fix it afaik.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •