Thread: Optimum settings for 2900

Default Optimum settings for 2900

I have a 2900HD and I have looked through the forums for the best xorg.conf settings for my card. Should I have VideoOverlay on or TexturedVideo?

OpenGLOverlay should be off? I have flickering video but I understand that it is an onging bug. Is this true?

What other options are there to take advantage of?

Thx

I never did find out the many fglrx options for xorg.conf, so I really wouldn't know. The only options I have played with are VideoOverlay, OpenGLOverlay, and OffScreenPixmaps. I found that using VideoOverlay (Xv) has a much lower CPU usage rating than OpenGLOverlay (OGL rendering). OffScreenPixmaps was needed in earlier driver releases because of a screen corruption bug, but it has been fixed since the 8.01 release.

I have found that "flickering" can mean a lot of things for different people. Some call flickering what I would describe as image tearing. What I call flickering is when the image on the screen comes on and off in rapid succession. This flickering I only experience when attempting to render videos in OGL or Xv while Compiz is on, which is more of a X issue that a driver "bug".

For my HD2900XT I just use the overlay options I mentioned above, and the card seems to perform adequately just like that.

For your Radeon HD 2900 series, you should use

Option "TexturedVideo"

in your device section (no Overlays). If you have bad performance with GTK applications/Compiz, you can give

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"

a try, too. You shouldn't need many more things...

Brilliant, thank you.

I do get the intermittent video that you call flickering while rendering in Xv (or OpenGL, or X11) with Compiz. I wish it would be fixed!

Just as a further point, for anyone else in the same position, I have worked around the flickering video problem by using the Compiz video plugin and compiling mplayer from SVN to enable support for it.

Simple instructions for Ubuntu are available:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571556

No doubt they will apply equally on other distros.