Thread: Mesa 9.1.2 Fixes A Handful Of Graphics Driver Bugs

Default Mesa 9.1.2 Fixes A Handful Of Graphics Driver Bugs

Phoronix: Mesa 9.1.2 Fixes A Handful Of Graphics Driver Bugs

Ian Romanick of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has announced the immediate release of Mesa 9.1.2 for open-source graphics drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2MjE

This release disables hyperZ in the r600g driver, due to lots of bugs reported.

However, it's still enabled for 9.2, and jerome glisse recently committed a possible fix: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...d7206b4754da48

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    This release disables hyperZ in the r600g driver, due to lots of bugs reported.

However, it's still enabled for 9.2, and jerome glisse recently committed a possible fix: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...d7206b4754da48
    Thanks for the note, Smitty

I appreciate this work intel puts into the stack, but come on! Stop playing into microsofts pocket and bring the OGL code over from your proprietary drivers!

Nice, this might very well fix the problems I've been having on HD Graphics 2500. Now to wait for this to get packaged.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    I appreciate this work intel puts into the stack, but come on! Stop playing into microsofts pocket and bring the OGL code over from your proprietary drivers!
    Like the usual proprietary code, it's probably absolutely horrible and full of nasty hacks. Even if they did publish it, it's very likely no self-respecting dev would accept it before a thorough cleanup.

I'm not even sure if it would be a net positive at all, adding those features cleanly to mesa in the first place could be less work than such cleanup of a huge codebase.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Like the usual proprietary code, it's probably absolutely horrible and full of nasty hacks. Even if they did publish it, it's very likely no self-respecting dev would accept it before a thorough cleanup.

I'm not even sure if it would be a net positive at all, adding those features cleanly to mesa in the first place could be less work than such cleanup of a huge codebase.
    curaga I know you hate all closed source software, but you do realize that the leaks that have happened over the years directly contradict you, right? 10yr old code drops from ID, leaked code from microsoft and others have shown actual code quality control is just as high as open source ones. not saying they are all link that, but the evidence so far shows that the industry cares about good quality code

I have seen enough secret codebases, many under NDA still in effect, to say it's the majority. I don't hate closed source, I just think it's an inferior option; but I also have released much closed code myself.

ID's drops were cleaned up before release, the MS leaks I didn't look at in case it would taint me (prevent from working on Wine in the future, for example).

The LucasArts leaks I only quickly checked, they weren't terrible, but not that good either.