Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Quote Originally Posted by slojam View Post
    Re the original story:

Good! I do not like Steam one bit. Holds all your games hostage, cant give them to a friend or trade them, forces massive downloads just to play an offline game for the first time, buggy, tracks all your gaming activity. Spread the word to the Windows people...
    *facepalm* I don't say this often, but you're an idiot. First of all, Steam is partially a DRM - it's SUPPOSED to prevent copying. Giving a game to a friend is illegal. It doesn't force you to do anything either, in fact most games that are on Steam are available elsewhere. Steam itself isn't very buggy at all, not even in Linux. Big Picture Mode is a bit on the glitchy side but I don't know anyone who uses that on a PC. And how is keeping track of gaming activity bad in any way at all? It helps create statistical information, manages your game saves in case your computer fails, has a nice achievement system, and lets other friends know when you're on. How are any of those bad things?

BTW, you CAN let friends run games on your account if you let them run Steam in Offline Mode. Many games use their own servers for online play.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    *facepalm* I don't say this often, but you're an idiot. First of all, Steam is partially a DRM - it's SUPPOSED to prevent copying. Giving a game to a friend is illegal. It doesn't force you to do anything either, in fact most games that are on Steam are available elsewhere. Steam itself isn't very buggy at all, not even in Linux. Big Picture Mode is a bit on the glitchy side but I don't know anyone who uses that on a PC. And how is keeping track of gaming activity bad in any way at all? It helps create statistical information, manages your game saves in case your computer fails, has a nice achievement system, and lets other friends know when you're on. How are any of those bad things?

BTW, you CAN let friends run games on your account if you let them run Steam in Offline Mode. Many games use their own servers for online play.
    Giving a book to a friend is legal.
    But giving a game to a friend is illegal?

Hmm, something is wrong here...

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    The European Court of Justice thinks it's fine :-D

Photocopying a book and giving them the copy IS illegal, FYI.

GIVING isn't illegal, that is, assuming you disown the product yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    GIVING isn't illegal, that is, assuming you disown the product yourself.
    I'd be entirely for being able to trade/give games on Steam, this would be a great feature.(It doesn't already exist, does it? I don't know much about Steam.)
    I've bought a few games I played for a few moments on an impulse buy that someone else would probably enjoy more.

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    I'd be entirely for being able to trade/give games on Steam, this would be a great feature.(It doesn't already exist, does it? I don't know much about Steam.)
    It's not possible to do this on steam. You can buy gifts for other people though. At some point Valve will need to find a way to square Steam with the European Court of Justice's recent decision that software can be sold second hand (even if the EULA says it can't).

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    It's very easy to install them on *buntus, just go to Software Sources > Additional Drivers.
    Its about the same for openSUSE.

There is a one click install for the proprietary drivers.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    It's not possible to do this on steam. You can buy gifts for other people though. At some point Valve will need to find a way to square Steam with the European Court of Justice's recent decision that software can be sold second hand (even if the EULA says it can't).
    I'm not sure that they will. From what I have read in the past you never own the games you buy on steam but you rent them on a permanent bases.

Quote Originally Posted by timothyja View Post
    I'm not sure that they will. From what I have read in the past you never own the games you buy on steam but you rent them on a permanent bases.
    Exactly that - you don't buy a license for a game (which could be sold), you buy a subscription to use a license for a game (aka a service). There was a large outcry when Steam changed their EULA to this wording. Which imho is wrong, they could get some more money if they allowed e.g. selling games between Steam users + a cut of the price for them. Everybody loses, not fun :-P.