Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 194

Thread: Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timothyja View Post
    I disagree completly. Gamers tend to be the most knowledgable group of computer users and I dont know of anyone thats into games that has not heard of Linux. Also when discussing Steam with them everyone I have talked to said they would switch if all there windows games were available. Why would they ever bother purchasing Windows again if they can get Linux for free, this being the case for the many gamers that build their own systems.
    Also gamers are a fickle bunch so any performance advantages offered by Linux would get gamers to switch in a second (dual booting is very easy), in theory the open nature of the linux environment make it a perfect platform for gamers to setup a tweaked system for performance gains. All that remains is for the graphics card makers to get their act toghether (something that is already happening thanks to Valve)
    Exactly !

    I do not know if I am good example, but I am a gamer who build his own pc, which is dualboot.

    Linux openSUSE 12.3
    And w7 because of D11 and the games which aren’t ported ( yet )

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    we all have our opinion, but I'm also a gamer and build my own computers, this time around I've built a dedicated gaming rig, and made a cheaper desktop for linux, I don't really like dual booting for a number of reasons. My gaming rig is sacred and only have installed the OS and games. I also play on linux and support it by buying games! Donīt get me wrong if I could only use linux i would, but is far beyond in terms of hardware support and easy of use. And lets face it I've bought windows 8 which is ugly and a pain to use....but is really fast! And it cost me 30$! Quiet honestly i wouldn't buy it at his current price but would still use it

    But for non linux users it can be a terrible experience changing for a new OS which they know nothing about, unless it starts to ship on brand new pc's, most people will never get in to linux, spending a lot of time to learn how to use it and some times even to simply make it work.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    This! people just cannot expect that gaming on linux will ever be an alternative to windows gaming, even if there were exactly the same games on both platforms windows would be king for a long margin, because most people just don't use linux, because they don't now it or even care about it, windows is what comes with their PC's and it does the job for them.
    Sigh. It has nothing to do with this. If you were to tell gamers that they could get another OS for free, that'd run their games fine, and offer a decent experience, they'd probably be happy to switch. The problem isn't that everyones sold on windows, the problem is the *nix experience isn't great.

    Our DEs aren't that great, and the defaults setups they seem to come in don't make sense. Sure, I can tweak mine, but your average gamer has no interest in this.
    Driver issues still semi suck. Maybe everything will work, maybe it won't, but you don't have an easy to install disk when it doesn't.
    The games and apps aren't there yet.
    Sound can be fiddily, though it's been getting better.

    All these issues are being worked on and I'm confident that everything besides the de's will be good. Other than that, people really don't care what OS they use.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    On a side note - yes I can predict that the big publishers wouldn't be so fond of such a system, but I bet that most of the indies would very gladly welcome it, as they are more concerned with people being happy with their game. And again - never say never. In my life I've met a lot of people that were so sure of what they were saying that they said that something will "never" happen, and yet it happened. It took some time (sometimes quite a lot of time), but for most things the question is not "if", only "when". Now let's end this offtopic.
    But the issue here is that Value can not implement such a system unless EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PUBLISHERS ON STEAM AGREE. Which will not happen. [Seriously, put any 100 people in a room and try and find unanimous consensus on anything]

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagefool View Post
    Sigh. It has nothing to do with this. If you were to tell gamers that they could get another OS for free, that'd run their games fine, and offer a decent experience, they'd probably be happy to switch. The problem isn't that everyones sold on windows, the problem is the *nix experience isn't great.

    Our DEs aren't that great, and the defaults setups they seem to come in don't make sense. Sure, I can tweak mine, but your average gamer has no interest in this.
    Driver issues still semi suck. Maybe everything will work, maybe it won't, but you don't have an easy to install disk when it doesn't.
    The games and apps aren't there yet.
    Sound can be fiddily, though it's been getting better.

    All these issues are being worked on and I'm confident that everything besides the de's will be good. Other than that, people really don't care what OS they use.
    More or less this. People don't want to be bothered with having to spend significant amounts of time trying to get things to work right. Thats the reason Windows is so successful: Out of the box, it works.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Thats the reason Windows is so successful: Out of the box, it works.
    Have you ever tried to install Windows on a new PC?

    Have you ever dealt with non-techie Windows users whose system is broken?

    The only reason you can say that is because OEMs ship systems with Windows pre-installed. If they shipped systems with Linux pre-installed, they'd be no different. And it only takes a few clicks for a non-techie Windows user to trash their system installing random crap from the Internet... yes, you must have Happy Fluffy Kitty Screen Saver right now!

    As for Linux gaming, the problem is that most of us who have Linux systems also have Windows systems for games, so we're unlikely to switch. I installed Linux Steam on my netbook, but it can't run many of the Linux games I own because it's so low-powered.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Koszalin, Poland
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    But the issue here is that Value can not implement such a system unless EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PUBLISHERS ON STEAM AGREE. Which will not happen. [Seriously, put any 100 people in a room and try and find unanimous consensus on anything]
    Your assumption is wrong - there is no need for every publisher to agree. Actually it needs at least only one publisher to agree. There is no problem with having 2 categories/tags for games (internally) marking them as 'resellable' and 'not resellable'. Just a boolean flag in the DB, easy.

    Have you ever tried to install Windows on a new PC?

    Have you ever dealt with non-techie Windows users whose system is broken?

    The only reason you can say that is because OEMs ship systems with Windows pre-installed. If they shipped systems with Linux pre-installed, they'd be no different. And it only takes a few clicks for a non-techie Windows user to trash their system installing random crap from the Internet... yes, you must have Happy Fluffy Kitty Screen Saver right now!

    As for Linux gaming, the problem is that most of us who have Linux systems also have Windows systems for games, so we're unlikely to switch. I installed Linux Steam on my netbook, but it can't run many of the Linux games I own because it's so low-powered.
    True! If any sane IT person would install GNU on a n00bs computer and give it to them, they would not have any problems with using it. Even my grandma could use GNU with KDE and that was over 5 years ago!
    Last edited by Cyber Killer; 05-16-2013 at 11:25 PM.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

    With Valve's very well known "Steam Hardware Survey", after showing some promising Linux statistics at first, last month indicated that the Linux adoption of the game distribution software was stagnate or on the decline. The April figures for the Steam hardware survey are now public and they indicate further losses for Linux gamers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2Mjg
    Valve doesn't understand (many things).

    I'm a long time user of Steam... STRICTLY on Linux. And I'm not alone. Valve doesn't get it though. Steam has worked well with Wine for many many years (YEARS!).

    I purchased a Steam Valve bundle so I could play HL2, and HL.

    With that said I was pleasantly surprised to see all my settings inside of native Steam for Linux... including my purchased games (again... please take note Valve... I do NOT use Windows).

    And with that said, HL2 and friends look great under native Steam. If I have any gripes is that Valve now believes that Linux == Ubuntu. And with that said, I use native Steam under openSUSE.... but some of the Linux games don't work unless you use Ubuntu (but most of them work).

    And finally, if this wasn't obvious... to Valve.. usage == "you are paying us on a regular basis for games"... and frankly, there's just way too many "free" offerings out there.

    But if you have some cash, feel free to send Valve some love for at least trying.... but I don't necessarily expect it to continue long term... because they just don't get it...

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    Valve doesn't understand (many things).

    I'm a long time user of Steam... STRICTLY on Linux. And I'm not alone. Valve doesn't get it though. Steam has worked well with Wine for many many years (YEARS!).

    I purchased a Steam Valve bundle so I could play HL2, and HL.

    With that said I was pleasantly surprised to see all my settings inside of native Steam for Linux... including my purchased games (again... please take note Valve... I do NOT use Windows).

    And with that said, HL2 and friends look great under native Steam. If I have any gripes is that Valve now believes that Linux == Ubuntu. And with that said, I use native Steam under openSUSE.... but some of the Linux games don't work unless you use Ubuntu (but most of them work).

    And finally, if this wasn't obvious... to Valve.. usage == "you are paying us on a regular basis for games"... and frankly, there's just way too many "free" offerings out there.

    But if you have some cash, feel free to send Valve some love for at least trying.... but I don't necessarily expect it to continue long term... because they just don't get it...
    They need to release a static Steam installer that downloads any libraries you are missing, yes. Hopefully they will do this soon. If they really wanted to they could put a warning message about possible game dysfunctionality if it detects you are running a rare/unsupported/whatever window manager / compositor, if that is one of the reasons they "recommend Ubuntu" and are supporting Ubuntu first, since their compositor is what they are using to test games in.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    Have you ever tried to install Windows on a new PC?
    Only a couple hundred times. Not that big a deal.

    Have you ever dealt with non-techie Windows users whose system is broken?
    Plenty of times. Usually, its a BIOS setting or bad RAM stick, both easy to diagnose and fix.

    The only reason you can say that is because OEMs ship systems with Windows pre-installed. If they shipped systems with Linux pre-installed, they'd be no different. And it only takes a few clicks for a non-techie Windows user to trash their system installing random crap from the Internet... yes, you must have Happy Fluffy Kitty Screen Saver right now!
    Not really. Sure, you can make Windows run like crap by installing every piece of malware under the sun, but hey, thats true for any OS. And I've yet to see a piece of malware actually cause a BSOD in the NT 6.1 (Vista/7/8) Kernel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •