Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux hacker compares Solaris kernel code:

Hybrid View

Default Linux hacker compares Solaris kernel code:

Here is Con Kolivas, who wrote some popular Linux schedulers.
    http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/...a-mad-man.html

He reviewed the Solaris scheduler and it seems he like it:
    http://ck-hack.blogspot.be/2010/10/o...s-illumos.html

"...The summary of my impression was that I was... surprised. Now I don't claim to be any kind of expert on code per-se. I most certainly have ideas, but I just hack together my ideas however I can dream up that they work, and I have basically zero traditional teaching, so you should really take whatever I say about someone else's code with a grain of salt. Well, anyway, the [Solaris] code, as I saw it, was neat. Real neat. Extremely neat. In fact, I found it painful to read after a while. It was so neatly laid out that I found myself admiring it. It seems to have been built like an aircraft. It has everything that opens and shuts, has code for just about everything I've ever seen considered on a scheduler, and it's all neatly laid out in clean code and even comments. It also appears to have been coded with an awful lot of effort to ensure it's robust and measurable, with checking and tracing elements at every corner. I started to feel a little embarrassed by what we have as our own kernel. The more I looked at the code, the more it felt like it pretty much did everything the Linux kernel has been trying to do for ages. Not only that, but it's built like an aircraft, whereas ours looks like a garage job with duct tape by comparison.

As an aside, I did google a few terms they used which I hadn't seen before, and I was more than a little disappointed to find patents regarding the names... Sigh.

Now this would be a great time to take my comments out of context without reading on. The problem is that here was a scheduler that did exactly what I hate about what the Linux kernel scheduler is becoming. It's a monstrosity of epic proportions, and as far as an aircraft goes, it's like taking an Airbus A380 on a short joyride if you're running it on a desktop. It looks like a good, nay, great design for a massive airliner. By looking at it alone, I haven't got the foggiest what it might run like on a desktop. Now since I'm full of opinion and rhetoric and don't ever come through with any substance (maybe writing my own scheduler invalidates that?), I'm going to also say I can't even be bothered trying it, for you to confirm your suspicions about me.

...the Linux kernel (scheduler) suddenly looks like the Millennium Falcon. Real fast, but held together with duct tape, and ready to explode at any minute...."

So, he feels embarrassed over the Linux code, after studying Solaris? Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post

...the Linux kernel (scheduler) suddenly looks like the Millennium Falcon. Real fast, but held together with duct tape, and ready to explode at any minute...."
    I think this is the reason Linux was chosen over slowlaris in the biggest databases and the most demanding workloads like stock exchanges. /sarcasm The only thing that keeps slowlaris alive is ZFS. Nothing more.

So, he feels embarrassed over the Linux code, after studying Solaris? Hmmm....
    He's jealous, because his scheduler was thrown out from the Linux kernel. I never liked the guy, because he always sounds childish and dumb. Get lost.

Here is Con Kolivas, who wrote some popular Linux schedulers.
    http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/...a-mad-man.html
    Yes, it's old. CK obviously, like everyone else, can see the better design patters in the Solaris kernel. That doesn't mean he thinks it's a better kernel or OS overall. Better design does not equal a better end result (you can have a wonderfully designed turd.) Con is not using Solaris, nor intends to.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Yes, it's old. CK obviously, like everyone else, can see the better design patters in the Solaris kernel. That doesn't mean he thinks it's a better kernel or OS overall. Better design does not equal a better end result (you can have a wonderfully designed turd.) Con is not using Solaris, nor intends to.
    He talks about the source code, not the design. Con Kolivas thinks the code is beatiful and admires it, after been used to work with Linux devs. CK says so.

He talks about the source code, not the design. Con Kolivas thinks the code is beatiful and admires it, after been used to work with Linux devs. CK says so.
    It seems Con loves bloated and crappy code and that's why he wrote few good things about slowlaris. Furthermore, we can admit Con was kicked out from Linux development and I bet he was too weak. Oracle should hire him, so he will be able to write a code that will crawl like a turtle in real workloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Con was kicked out from Linux development
    He wasn't. But that's usual trolling BS. Nice job :-) You must have no real life whatsoever, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    He wasn't. But that's usual trolling BS. Nice job :-) You must have no real life whatsoever, right?
    I said "we can assume". I know he left development, but I bet it was because Ingo has replaced his role. He's envy now. According to number of my posts I have more life than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    It seems Con loves bloated and crappy code and that's why he wrote few good things about slowlaris. Furthermore, we can admit Con was kicked out from Linux development and I bet he was too weak. Oracle should hire him, so he will be able to write a code that will crawl like a turtle in real workloads.
    No, Con is one of the best developers. He introduced BFS, that is much better scheduler for desktop systems. You don't want Linux on desktop?

That said, I think he is very competent so he must be correct on topic.

Also, remember that "better" is an enemy of "good". So in order to progress one must find weaknessess to be able to combat them.

This is why in this angle criticism is very good. You don't kick out developers for criticism - this way you will end up with a bunch of "agree" types that can't improve anything, because they agree that current state is always good.

This is what open source is about, to look at code and understand how others solved an problem and to be inspired.
    If someone made something nice then good for them.
    I can't understand the big fuss here.

@ kebabbert fungerar din sun-ray du fick av Sun fortfarande?

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    No, Con is one of the best developers. He introduced BFS, that is much better scheduler for desktop systems. You don't want Linux on desktop?

That said, I think he is very competent so he must be correct on topic.

Also, remember that "better" is an enemy of "good". So in order to progress one must find weaknessess to be able to combat them.

This is why in this angle criticism is very good. You don't kick out developers for criticism - this way you will end up with a bunch of "agree" types that can't improve anything, because they agree that current state is always good.
    There is not one single responsible person on the planet who would actually use BFS. The reality of it is that it is an epic bloody mess of contradictions that are guaranteed to explode in just about every circumstance. I have tried it, and it was a nightmare of hesitation and crashes.

Secondly, you should never assume that your opponent is completely flawed and retarded. I'm sure that there are great things about the solaris code. Lots of them. As well as bad things.

Not to say that Con isn't entitled to his views on the "neatness" of the solaris code, but one really has to wonder whether he was comparing it to the Linux code, or **his own**.
    Last edited by droidhacker; 05-06-2013 at 08:57 AM.