Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: XFS In Linux 3.10 To Put On Extra Protection

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,373

    Default XFS In Linux 3.10 To Put On Extra Protection

    Phoronix: XFS In Linux 3.10 To Put On Extra Protection

    The XFS file-system with the forthcoming Linux 3.10 kernel will have an experimental feature for CRC protection of meta-data...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2Mzg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Crc for meta-data is cool and all that, but it's like saying "well, the trojan wiped all your data, but since it didn't get root, at least you don't need to reinstall your OS!".

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Crc for meta-data is cool and all that, but it's like saying "well, the trojan wiped all your data, but since it didn't get root, at least you don't need to reinstall your OS!".
    CRC for metadata isn't designed for security. It is just a means of ensuring metadata integrity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    CRC for metadata isn't designed for security. It is just a means of ensuring metadata integrity.
    This interests me. I've used XFS before and it was always good, so I wouldn't mind abandoning ext4 and going back to XFS if there was some advantage in doing so. Data integrity is a big deal for me, and I'd rate it more important than performance (though good performance is always nice to). Actually, XFS does perform well. So I guess my next question is: does ext4 have CRC checking too, or is XFS the first?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    This interests me. I've used XFS before and it was always good, so I wouldn't mind abandoning ext4 and going back to XFS if there was some advantage in doing so. Data integrity is a big deal for me, and I'd rate it more important than performance (though good performance is always nice to). Actually, XFS does perform well. So I guess my next question is: does ext4 have CRC checking too, or is XFS the first?
    ext4.wiki.kernel.org: Ext4 Metadata Checksums

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    This interests me. I've used XFS before and it was always good, so I wouldn't mind abandoning ext4 and going back to XFS if there was some advantage in doing so. Data integrity is a big deal for me, and I'd rate it more important than performance (though good performance is always nice to). Actually, XFS does perform well. So I guess my next question is: does ext4 have CRC checking too, or is XFS the first?
    This is designed to protect metadata integrity. It will not make XFS protect your data anymore than it already does. That is to say, not at all.

    If you want data integrity, you should use ZFS.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    This interests me. I've used XFS before and it was always good, so I wouldn't mind abandoning ext4 and going back to XFS if there was some advantage in doing so. Data integrity is a big deal for me, and I'd rate it more important than performance (though good performance is always nice to). Actually, XFS does perform well. So I guess my next question is: does ext4 have CRC checking too, or is XFS the first?
    XFS isn't the first. Linux 3.5 introduced some checksums for metadata integrity in Ext4

    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.5#h...a7b417333147f8

    Btrfs provides better data integrity but like all filesystems has its own set of tradeoffs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    This is designed to protect metadata integrity. It will not make XFS protect your data anymore than it already does. That is to say, not at all.

    If you want data integrity, you should use ZFS.
    NILFS2 is also interesting for data integrity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •