Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: What is the best nvidia gpu for gaming?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    @RussianNeuroMancer

    I mainly noticed instabilities using flash 11.2 with vdpau on some cards. You can try this hack (adjust path to the libflashplayer.so if needed):

    Code:
    sed -i s/libvdpau/libvdpax/g $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    Even if it does not always work it is better than fglrx as you dont have got vdpau there. Radeon vdpau crashes flash 11.2 as well.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    AMD drivers suck! Latest update and my boot time doubled which by itself is pretty annoying but even worse is i'm getting my GUI broken in half every time i left my computer unattended for more than a couple of hours....the performance by itself was actually not bad! and the crossfire actually scaled nicely it was never broken.
    Wither crossfire is broken or not can be easily measured by PTS, using Unigine or Xonotic profiles; they should have profile for crossfire.
    Also, you claimed performance was bad, now you claim performance was not bad.. I don't understand you Every driver has bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Right now none of the source games work with even git master and serious sam doesn't either so I'm not sure this is good advice.
    Well, I said "soon", not "now". It looks to me like same case with Evergreen, now the later being the most stable choice for R600g.
    So the purchase is sure futureproof.

    But if one wants all features now, on modern hardware, then the best choice probably would be closed source nvidia driver with one of nvidia GPUs I recommended.


    @Kano: Radeon VDPAU implementation is how many days old? xD Why do you expect it to be free of bugs, especially with Adobe Flash, that has Blue People bug with nvidia even now?
    Last edited by brosis; 05-07-2013 at 05:18 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    You actually compare critical issue (xserver crash) with rendering issue - you are serious? btw, I may remember more examples (broken 3D on 7300/7400 Go since 270 build of the driver - "long" hardware support in nVidia driver is nothing but joke) but this one (GTS 250, GTS 560) just fresh.
    Amd had trouble always in my experiencie, I recommended to buy and nvidia gt640 or gt 650

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Wither crossfire is broken or not can be easily measured by PTS, using Unigine or Xonotic profiles; they should have profile for crossfire.
    Also, you claimed performance was bad, now you claim performance was not bad.. I don't understand you Every driver has bugs.
    You didn't understand me because you didn't bother to read...if you've read what I've posted in my first reply I said:

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    Right know i have a couple of HD6670 in crossfire and they get the job done easily...but i'm fed up with AMD drivers!
    I don't see were I've complained about the performance, or crossfire scaling for that matter.
    Last edited by marco26; 05-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    Or if you want to wait for next highend 700 series cards (maybe with dx11.1 support, all cards now are dx11.0), those should be out in a few months. The slower/cheaper ones are usually out much later. Series 600 cards have got kepler chips for gt 640 or better (or gt 630 oem, but NOT the retail gt 630) - simpler cards use renamed fermi chips. kepler supports more than 2 outputs the same time. I would not get something below 650 Ti, but it depends how much money you want to spend, get at least kepler. Also FORGET sli/cf - both is completely useless for Linux games.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I'm going to be honest, i couldn't control myself and bought the GTX 660 in my way to work...it was stronger than me

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    You didn't understand me because you didn't bother to read...if you've read what I've posted in my first reply I said:
    I don't see were I've complained about the performance, or crossfire scaling for that matter.
    No, I did "bother to read", you didn't bother to understand. Crossfire/SLI require profiles for each game. Someone already tested SLI/Crossfire here on forums and regardless which method used, it brought near x1.0 card performance. That means, crossfire/SLI are non-functional under Linux in proprietary drivers, because both nvidia and AMD do not expect any gamer to use this configuration under Linux. As for opensource driver, nobody yet bothered implementing it, but its not hard thing to do.

    So my claim was, that your card crossfire actually run at x1.0 (not x1.5 or x2.0) performance.

    I can only recommend you to sell only one of the cards and watch opensource radeon performance from time to time. I think in a year or two MESA/radeon will reach OpenGL 4.0 featureset and will be on par with fglrx in functionality.

    I also assume you were refering to fglrx drivers when you said "AMD drivers suck"? Because I use only radeon (not fglrx aka catalyst).

    Myself is actually migrating from nvidia into AMD radeon, because I actually found the performance of opensource drivers very adequate to my needs : )
    I also wait for Intel Haswell : )
    Last edited by brosis; 05-07-2013 at 03:55 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    I'm going to be honest, i couldn't control myself and bought the GTX 660
    Good choice. the GTX660 and 650Ti are the best choices in performance/price for us mere mortals who don't want to spend >=$300 on a graphics card.

    Note: the GTX650 (non-Ti) is an overpriced poser card. Nvidia's marketing department should be shot for calling it a GTX.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    I'm going to be honest, i couldn't control myself and bought the GTX 660 in my way to work...it was stronger than me
    If it's made by EVGA, note that you can trade it up for a 700 series when they come out and only pay the difference. Look up their trade-up program.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Lol.

    Either HD58xx, 69xx or 7870+. The opensource driver for 787x+ should stabilize pretty soon.
    recommending someone to buy a graphics card and hoping the driver will be stable soon is ridiculous
    Save yourself some pain and get an Nvidia card.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •