Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brütal Legend Is Exciting To Linux Gamers

Looking at your bug report, the new beta driver fixed at least this bug:

[fglrx:firegl_apl_loadDatabase] *ERROR* APL: apl initialize fail.

Quote Originally Posted by mibo View Post
    After playing this cool game a bit more, I have to say that I also have those black screen lock ups :-( using Cat 13.4 and HD5850.
    I can play 5 to 20 minutes before something ends my fun.

I opened a report an AMDs forum: http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/166818
    Could this be the same bug in two different drivers?

Anybody else here, playing Brutal Legends with AMD/Catalyst?
    Played with no visible problem using a HD7850 with catalyst 13.4

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried the 13.6 beta today, but Brutal Legends still crashed after 20+ minutes. I also had some artifacts (long black bars sticking out of one persons head).
    The errors in /var/log/messages are gone. There are also no error messages in Xorg.0.log... So, I have no idea where to look for messages next.

I will just wait for the next Catalyst and hope for the best.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried the 13.6 beta today, but Brutal Legends still crashed after 20+ minutes. I also had some artifacts (long black bars sticking out of one persons head).
    The errors in /var/log/messages are gone. There are also no error messages in Xorg.0.log... So, I have no idea where to look for messages next.

I will just wait for the next Catalyst and hope for the best.
    Upgrade to opensource driver and disable hyperz as suggested several posts above. I also run HD5850 on opensource driver, but I don't own the game; otherwise, I would fire a bug report to the bugtracker.

Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    had DDX/DDI and mesa from may 6th and it hardlocked, not sure when that patch was supposed to get in, I remember having seen it earlier so it probably didn't help in my case

yeah, disabling hyperz helped definitely ! no hardlocks anymore
    llvm also had to be disabled though - occasionally the screen still would turn black but it could be switched to VT, program terminated - so no hardlock

in the end the following prefixed commands lets it run OK-ish so far:
    R600_DEBUG=sb,nohyperz R600_LLVM=0
    thanks !
    *that* bug was essentially HyperZ code not working properly and crashing GPU in very specific, repeatable cases. Pretty much every middle or heavy 3D application will crash.
    If disabling hyperZ helped you, then you might really be hitting this bug.
    Please get lastest MESA/DDX and retest without workarounds. If the bug surfaces, please fire the bug to MESA development list - this is the *only* way as first step in order to make proper driver. I don't have the game, so sadly I can't do anything here : /

Default Problem: KDE powerdevil

So, I think I found out what the problem is.
    I played Brutal Legend to a point where it crashed reproducible (3 times). Then I deactivated the KDE power management service (powerdevil) and I could play on without crashing...

It seems, powerdevil switched off my monitor or does other stupid stuff to let Cat 13.6beta crash.
    Whom should I report this problem to? AMD? KDE? DoubleFine?

So, I think I found out what the problem is.
    I played Brutal Legend to a point where it crashed reproducible (3 times). Then I deactivated the KDE power management service (powerdevil) and I could play on without crashing...

It seems, powerdevil switched off my monitor or does other stupid stuff to let Cat 13.6beta crash.
    Whom should I report this problem to? AMD? KDE? DoubleFine?
    Try enabling powerdevil, but disable everything in KDE power settings then turn it on and on step by step; especially things that wait 20 minutes of inactivity (that you can set to 5 minute, one by one, to reduce the testing time)

You will have to open bugs on both KDE/Powerdevil and DoubleFine. This has nothing to do with AMD(yet). I think its BL grabbing mouse and keyboard illegally from system the way that it makes KDE think devices are inactive the whole time. If thats confirmed and fixed - there is another bug associated with BL - ability to resume game from sleep, and that might get couped with AMD driver. I mean, game should be able to go into standy and resume from it gracefully.