Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,900

    Default Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

    Phoronix: Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

    Google is almost finalized with the VP9 codec, the successor to the increasingly-used VP8 codec...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDA

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

    Google is almost finalized with the VP9 codec, the successor to the increasingly-used VP8 codec...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDA
    Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.
    i have the suspicion that the main problem with the adoption of vp8 is HW acceleration. And this shouldn't be the case with vp9 if google wants it to succeed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Lawsuits

    Expect VP9 patent lawsuits by trolls who;
    A) want free money for doing absolutely nothing
    B) stall the project and attempt to kill it by creating FUD

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.
    exactly.
    So, they said YouTube is going to use VP9. Um.... how exactly? YouTube supports WebM, which is VP8 and Vorbis. Unless they extend WebM to allow multiple codecs, or release WebM2.....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
    exactly.
    So, they said YouTube is going to use VP9. Um.... how exactly? YouTube supports WebM, which is VP8 and Vorbis. Unless they extend WebM to allow multiple codecs, or release WebM2.....
    WebM is a container flexible enough and was designed to support multiple codecs since Google has been planning to update VP8 all along. This will happen as VP9 gets finalized. No need for WebM2.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Expect VP9 patent lawsuits by trolls who;
    A) want free money for doing absolutely nothing
    B) stall the project and attempt to kill it by creating FUD
    there will be probably not any patent lawsuit from MPEG LA: xiphmont.livejournal.com/59893.html

    Nokia could make trouble with this patent though: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...1B1&KC=B1&ND=4

    Damn even in Europe we have stupid software patents

  8. #8

    Default

    It's too damn early to freeze it.

    VP9 must be made better than H.265, otherwise the point of its existence is so moot Google had better not release it at all.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    i have the suspicion that the main problem with the adoption of vp8 is HW acceleration. And this shouldn't be the case with vp9 if google wants it to succeed.
    They have HW already for vp8. I think nvidia already built it into their mobile chips. And I'm pretty sure other chipmakers are about to ass well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    It's too damn early to freeze it.

    VP9 must be made better than H.265, otherwise the point of its existence is so moot Google had better not release it at all.
    Doesn't matter if its 1-2% better compression, 1-2% better quality, or 1-2% faster compression or decompression.

    It doesn't have to be technically superior. Both VP9 and H.265 are likely so good that the difference will be marginal.

    What is important is that it is freely available and open and royalty-free and standardized.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •