Thread: Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

Default Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

Phoronix: Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

A major release of the Pixman rendering library happened on Wednesday. Pixman 0.30 now has some major back-end improvements and other changes to better the pixel manipulation software...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2ODg

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

A major release of the Pixman rendering library happened on Wednesday. Pixman 0.30 now has some major back-end improvements and other changes to better the pixel manipulation software...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2ODg
    The SIMD improvements are real nice. Not being conversant with image algorithms, are there any advantages to be found beyond SSE2, or is the tradeoff of disallowing older hardware too much?
    I would expect the superwide AVX instructions to be really useful, even if they don't include any more useful instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    The SIMD improvements are real nice. Not being conversant with image algorithms, are there any advantages to be found beyond SSE2, or is the tradeoff of disallowing older hardware too much?
    I would expect the superwide AVX instructions to be really useful, even if they don't include any more useful instructions.
    as far as i know, AVX2 should have suitable integer instructions (and bitwise things for whatever is done to pictures)
    AVX is mostly floating point things

pixman works on non-sse cpu's meaning theres a mechanism or another for compatibility
    Last edited by gens; 05-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.