Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jedi Academy Thrives As Open-Source Software

Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Never encountered yogi_berra's trolling before? You should buy a lottery ticket
    I guess so...

Quote Originally Posted by sado1 View Post
    If you need another confirmation... I compiled OpenJK yesterday and cmake told me it requires SDL2 I was also able to play multiplayer Jedi Academy for a while on Linux with this native binary (frankly, I didn't really expect it would work) and spotted no issues so far. It was fast even on Intel graphics (though seems to run fine with primusrun as well), definitely an improvement over Wine-based version (especially regarding the amount of heat produced by my notebook).
    Does it work well in 16:9 resolutions? I want to get back to playing this game ASAP as I have several retail copies of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Does it work well in 16:9 resolutions? I want to get back to playing this game ASAP as I have several retail copies of it.
    Yep. Using 1920x1080 with cg_fov 120. Looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    Btw NWN1/2, Kotor1/2 are OpenGL games too, wish they would also open source their code. I bet Linux ports would be available within a few weeks.
    NWN1 is OpenGL, NWN2 was D3D; as for KOTOR 1/2 I do believe it was both OGL and D3D (for the XBox port).

Red face Great

Works great on Xubuntu/AMD. I even wrote up a Blog entry to help new people install it in the most simple way possible. I can't Code, but I try my best to help people in other ways by giving advice and help installing. Trying to help out with the Wine db also using my closet full of Win games. If I help even one person, I'm happy. Shout out to my bro who sold me his Retail CD of JA. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    NWN1 is OpenGL, NWN2 was D3D; as for KOTOR 1/2 I do believe it was both OGL and D3D (for the XBox port).
    yeah both KOTOR's had OGL for OSX, D3D for Win/XBawks

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    NWN1 is already on Linux, the official install CD's included a bash script to do linux installs.
    No they didn't. They promised to, certainly, but Linux support only came along some time later, in the form of a third-party installer (another Icculus effort, I believe). And even then, some functionality was missing...

Don't get me wrong - it was a great game, and it did work well on Linux. But it certainly didn't do so out of the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Afaik KOTOR1/2 used a modified NWN engine (with D3D support), and NWN2 used a modified KOTOR engine. So I assume the OpenGL bits would still be there, unless they've ripped them out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    No they didn't. They promised to, certainly, but Linux support only came along some time later, in the form of a third-party installer (another Icculus effort, I believe). And even then, some functionality was missing...
    Mostly correct, but it was not done by icculus but was an internal effort by some of the employees. That was actually quite common back in the day.