Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 168

Thread: Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Jesus, where these ubuntu retards come from. Only thing canonical created themselves is unity, that's all. And these pathetic kids talk about easiness of use. Every damn thing except unity and upstart(iirc) is created by someone else NOT canonical. Can you now stop posting this canonical this, canonical that nonsense? I wish ubuntu to fail hard. Oh and lol at brain damaged kids saying Xorg is crap i guess linux kernel is crap too right, because it wasn't ported by f*ing canonical yet?
    I don't know anything about being a retard. I do know I'd like to see you talk to someone like that face to face and watch what happens next.

  2. #132
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    Linux is all about choice, right?

    Ubuntu is a choice. Mir is a choice. It's not like Microsoft where you have to accept what's offered.

    The way I see it is this: Linux offers an alternative to Windows. Ubuntu offers an alternative for those who favor ease of operation. Mint offers an alternative to Ubuntu. So do dozens of other Ubuntu derivatives, recognized and unrecognized by Canonical (Mint, btw, is not recognized). Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Cent, Arch, PC Linux OS, etc. offer an alternative outside the Ubuntu universe.

    If you don't like Ubuntu, don't use it. But a lot of people like it. Most who use it didn't get it pre-installed, they chose to download and install it themselves. National governments are switching their entire computer operations over to Ubuntu. That's quite an achievement, especially since it didn't involve M$-style coercion, but rather a combination of creating a user-friendly version of Linux and savvy marketing.

    But like I said, ditch it if it's not for you. Just don't drop a turd on everyone who likes Ubuntu just because you don't. Use and let use. We're not preventing you from using your favorite distro. And if Canonical ends up making an unholy mess out of Ubuntu, they won't be able to prevent anyone from switching to Mint or Debian or Crunchbang or even Easy Peasy. Which is probably why they won't make an unholy mess out of it - not if they want to survive.

    As for Canonical not using a Real Linux display manager - what is Real Linux, anyway? Linux is the kernel. The rest is all GNU or other add-ons. Or is it more of an idea? One where if everyone doesn't get their two cents in it's not "Real Linux"? Linux is a community, but it's a fractal one and has been from the start. The idea is that you can stick with the choices available, offer your own improvements to them, or reject the available choices outright and strike out to create your own.

    Or you can bitch about it on the internet using false comparisons and flimsy logic.

    Your choice.
    Nice -rude- necro, how about engaging in debate when a thread's still "well & truly" active.
    If you had the balls to, I can guarantee you'd get utterly smashed with your "false comparisons & flimsy logic".

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Nice -rude- necro, how about engaging in debate when a thread's still "well & truly" active.
    If you had the balls to, I can guarantee you'd get utterly smashed with your "false comparisons & flimsy logic".
    1) I didn't even know about this forum until yesterday.
    2) I thought this was a forum for people to discuss Linux, not to deal with personal inadequacy issues by anonymously "smashing" people on the internet. You might want to try Open Arena for that.

    But after reading through some of these threads here, it seems that's exactly what a lot of you like to use this forum for. Handing it back to you now. Enjoy.

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    Linux is all about choice, right?
    linux is a kernel, that i choose to use, so sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    Ubuntu is a choice. Mir is a choice. It's not like Microsoft where you have to accept what's offered.
    Microsoft has nothing to do with the conversation. Ubuntu doesn't recognize many of it's own flavors as offical, so no. not about choice, necessarily and besides that, it's an OS not a choose your own adventure game. Mir is a display server with the design in mind to take user's GPL'd contributions and gives Canonical the right to then lockup that code for vendors ~ i'm not sure where you get 'choice' out of that, exactly. I guess you mean Canonical's choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    The way I see it is this: Linux offers an alternative to Windows. Ubuntu offers an alternative for those who favor ease of operation. Mint offers an alternative to Ubuntu. So do dozens of other Ubuntu derivatives, recognized and unrecognized by Canonical (Mint, btw, is not recognized). Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Cent, Arch, PC Linux OS, etc. offer an alternative outside the Ubuntu universe.
    Sure, Ubuntu is an alternative to Windows (if you look at it that way), but then so is MacOSX and most of the other (tier 1) linux distribution that you just mentioned. ~ those other distro mentioned aren't just 'alternatives to Ubuntu' specifically, nor your so-called "Ubuntu universe". Some of them fill very different needs / attract specific types of users for a variety of reasons. ie: things like; distro-specific tools, different philosophy, usage/target, etc. ~ I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion they are alternatives, i can only guess you aren't familiar enough with some of other linux distributions that you just mentioned. CentOS for example, isn't even aimed at desktop users, it's an RHEL clone and most widely used on servers - ie: not an ubuntu alternative.

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    If you don't like Ubuntu, don't use it. But a lot of people like it. Most who use it didn't get it pre-installed, they chose to download and install it themselves. National governments are switching their entire computer operations over to Ubuntu. That's quite an achievement, especially since it didn't involve M$-style coercion, but rather a combination of creating a user-friendly version of Linux and savvy marketing.
    Some of don't (use it)....We are all aware how people install linux distros, captain obvious. :\ ... governments and other institutions switching their systems over to linux is nothing new, it may be an achievement, but it's not one Canonical can really claim much credit for, beyond marketing their particular branding of linux. ie: they write very little of the stack / services they can provide. ie: Canonical is literally just coasting off of Redhat's work, for the most part. (obviously, redhat is not the only one by any means, but they do come to mind as a big one).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers#Government

    wow, what an amazing feat for Canonical; a slew of gov'ts and other institutions were using Linux *years before* Ubuntu even existed

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    But like I said, ditch it if it's not for you. Just don't drop a turd on everyone who likes Ubuntu just because you don't. Use and let use. We're not preventing you from using your favorite distro. And if Canonical ends up making an unholy mess out of Ubuntu, they won't be able to prevent anyone from switching to Mint or Debian or Crunchbang or even Easy Peasy. Which is probably why they won't make an unholy mess out of it - not if they want to survive.
    Actually, the general theme around here, tends to be when ubuntu-fanboy morons start making inaccurate or even retarded claims about Canonical/Ubuntu and what they do (or more likely have very little to do with), that people get annoyed (ie: they have no idea what they are talking about, yet yammer on and on) ~ it's not that 'everyone is just dropping a turd on everyone who likes Ubuntu'. Nice completely bogus statement though.

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    As for Canonical not using a Real Linux display manager - what is Real Linux, anyway? Linux is the kernel. The rest is all GNU or other add-ons. Or is it more of an idea? One where if everyone doesn't get their two cents in it's not "Real Linux"? Linux is a community, but it's a fractal one and has been from the start. The idea is that you can stick with the choices available, offer your own improvements to them, or reject the available choices outright and strike out to create your own.
    You would have to ask Dee about that, since i am not sure what he means by real linux display manager, exactly. However, most of the distros do share much of the same infrastructure, and tend to share a lot of common ground; with shared resources, communication and development within the ecosystem. ~ Canonical sucks at all of this, Mir is a shinny example with it's secret development (while publicly saying they would support Wayland), spreading FUD about wayland, their bullsh%t CLA, their poor PR handling and last but certainly not least; there lack of quality contributions to projects they depend on.

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    Or you can bitch about it on the internet using false comparisons and flimsy logic.
    false comparisons like your comparisons above? ...or not having a clue as to what you're talking about? ...or how about necro-bumping a thread, coming in here with a holier-than-though attitude, yet not even having some basic facts in place?

    yeah.... :\

  5. #135
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btet View Post
    1) I didn't even know about this forum until yesterday.
    That says LOTS, especially given what you were so eager to lead with, "right off the bat".

    2) I thought this was a forum for people to discuss Linux, not to deal with personal inadequacy issues by anonymously "smashing" people on the internet. You might want to try Open Arena for that.
    You misinterpret what was said, nothing to do with inadequacy, or literally smashing folks.

    But after reading through some of these threads here, it seems that's exactly what a lot of you like to use this forum for. Handing it back to you now. Enjoy.
    So you're a expert on the nature of the entire phoronix community after reading a few threads, interesting.
    Anyway, lets keep this thread dead shall we, as was always meant to be the case...
    Last edited by jalyst; 07-01-2013 at 03:33 AM.

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
    Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.
    android went with surfaceflinger but it fail? ubuntu will be in a league of its own, it will prob be more userfriendly because they will have control of everything going on in ubuntu. ubuntu will have a better chance going against windows like this than with wayland. ubuntu will rock i cant wait!!!!

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king.808z View Post
    android went with surfaceflinger but it fail?
    Android is a special case, they aim at the mobile space and don't want to be a fully fledged desktop Linux at the same time, for them compatibility with the rest of the Linux environment is not really important. For a desktop Linux working with the rest is crucial.
    ubuntu will be in a league of its own, it will prob be more userfriendly because they will have control of everything going on in ubuntu.
    You mean like we see with another OS where one company controls the whole stack, Windows 8?
    ubuntu will have a better chance going against windows like this than with wayland.
    Care to explain why that is the case?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •