Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 168

Thread: Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I was thinking about whether to start eclipse or not (it was early morning and was thinking to go to bed or test a few things before that), somehow I ended up typing IDE my bad. The customization thing is done by some people of course. But not by most people. Arch linux exists for people who want to configure everything but that doesn't mean it's a major distro used by most.
    Sorry, no dice. You may not customize your desktop, but those tools do exist, are for customization and are commonly used. - again, go hit the ubuntu forums and look at people's monthly screenshot threads, go on youtube and look at the wide variety of customizations to the Ubuntu Desktop, different in almost every channel. Go on flickr, etc... You statements do not gel with reality, at all.

    I didn't say anything about Archlinux being used by most people - your comment is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand... but Archlinux is fairly popular, it's in the top 10 most popular distros out there - and is more popular than the vast majority of Ubuntu derivatives.. but yeah, Archlinux is geared at a more technical minded crowd... I commented that i use Arch, that is it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Except the statistics don't hold your argument. Seriously type Ubuntu 13.04 review and most say that it doesn't add much to Ubuntu 12.10 but it's a solid release that improves performance since there were some issues with 12.10. There are very few that say that Unity is still unusable, in fact most say that Unity is good and they are dissapointed that Canonical didn't have time to add Smart Scopes which would have been a cool feature. Plus I gave you in another thread a link that shows that around 46% of Ubuntu users do use Unity.
    Which i already quoted back to you (that article) -> The author of the article says in the first paragraph that the article has a clear bias (ubuntu website, installed by default, outdated, etc) - you're stats are irrelevant. And someone else posted you independent gathered statistics, in several languages / in several groups - that showed Unity usage around 22% ...

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Of course it might not be a perfect poll but the number is pretty overwhelming. You really don't understand do you? If you read my posts on these forums you will find out that I was the most vocal critic of both Gnome 3 AND Unity. I fucking hated the damn thing when they made it default. And just like you I tried to figure out why the fuck don't most people run away from it. And I was surprised to find out that most people were fine with it. I wanted it to be like you. But I accepted that it simply wasn't like I wanted it to be. And 5 days ago I used Unity and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so shitty anymore. I am still using it (I was using KDE before). Do you understand that I wanted the damn thing to burn in flames? Read the posts when I said that Unity was shit and see how many jumped on me that Unity is just great for grandpa and shut up. It's not fanboysm I fucking hated it till 5 days ago do you understand this?
    99% percent of your posts and opinions do not reflect reality and are RETARDED. You're poll was bogus (for the reasons it's says in the article and it's quite old)... and the rest of your comment is just repeated nonsense that we've already been over... and whether or not you hated both DEs but love one of them now / people jumping down your throat saying Unity good for grampa is irrelevant / subjective opinion at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Now you say that you use Arch. This leads me to believe that you make a somewhat common mistake. Assume everybody that wants an OS want to spend time and learn their inner workings. Would you recommend Arch to somebody that never used linux before? Most people who install Ubuntu don't even know that they can have multiple DEs because in windows it isn't common (or in mac). I am not talking about power users. They do not make the majority of the users as much as you would like to believe that.
    No, moron - you do not get to present my position. Your 'assumptions' are incorrect, incoherent and invalid on all counts. And it isn't 'now i say i use Arch'... I use Archlinux - and had pointed that out previously in conversation. As far as recommending Archlinux - it entirely depends on the individual and what they are looking for. - but Arch is for more technical DIY types. I would recommend an Arch-derivative though, depending, likewise i may recommend Ubuntu for noobs. It depends on the individual. Generally, I don't evangelize Linux - so i don't sit around trying to convince Windows Users, who are my friends to switch over.... In fact, If i have a friend who isn't broke, money is of no object AND they aren't computer literate, nor do they really want to be ~ I would NEVER recommend Ubuntu OR even MS Windows to them. I would recommend Apple.

    New Linux users who install any distribution find out very quickly there are many DEs to choose from. Again, stop claiming you speak for the majority - you only speak for yourself. You're not psychic - so shut up with this "I can read the minds of the majority, i know what everybody uses on the PC, how they have set it up, their habits, etc. ~ You don't know ANY of these things.
    Last edited by ninez; 05-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Funny thing that you say that I am a psychic when I say something and that I cannot prove that I am right but yet when you claim the opposite you don't need a proof. You just assume you are right. I say most people don't use Ubuntu tweak then you run to some forums find a few examples of people who use it and claim that it is very used.
    Funny how easily i can provide proof;

    On customization;

    flickr; http://www.flickr.com/groups/omgubuntu/pool/ - there are tonz of customized Ubuntu desktops and it's a real mixed bag (ie: not everybody uses Unity, not even close). There are 193 examples on this single webpage.

    Yeah, nobody uses Ubuntu tweak, better read this article, dumbass; http://www.pcworld.com/article/20128...k-to-life.html ~ *Over 3 million downloads* and severe out cry, when the developer was going to stop the project (273 responses on his own blog, alone - not bad).

    Googling "customizing ubuntu 13.04" - over 500k hits - first 10 pages (didn't look any further) are mostly blogs (the odd forum post, which still counts and the odd LP comment/bug report - may or may not count) about customizing Ubuntu; https://www.google.ca/search?q=custo...w=1349&bih=745

    Youtube: 18,500 hits, all videos on how to do XYZ customization in Ubuntu; http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...stomize+ubuntu - but note that is one specific search - i could turn up a lot more than that.

    you'll have to go to the Ubuntu forums, yourself. Ihave done enough homework for you, already.

    ...now - do you care to provide ANYTHING to back up ANYTHING that has come out of your mouth - because from where i am sitting, you are dumber than a rock. seriously, it's embarrassing how much of a half-whit you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I can say the same thing about you. You claim some things without proving shit. You just hate Unity and Ubuntu. It's not like you can prove that Ubuntu is not the most used distro.
    First, learn how to quote properly, dummy. 2nd. I don't hate Ubuntu or Unity - but yeah, I don't like Canonical and i presonally would never use Ubuntu - it's too inflexible for my personal needs. (which goes beyond just using a Linux desktop, since i have several linux-based synth modules, as well). Ubuntu is the most popular distro - Unity is NOT the most popular DE...

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Another assumption. Care to prove it? How the hell would most people know that there are multiple DEs coming from Mac or Windows when multiple DEs aren't a common feature of those.
    No, personal experience and observation of noobs over many years, in various Linux communities, forums, etc. People aren't as stupid as you peg them to be. Distro's tend to have documentation covering all of this stuff, blog after blog cover and/or review multiple DEs, etc... You thinking is just VERY LIMITED.

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Care to prove that?
    Well, I already proved that your initial remark was completely fallacious - I never implied that most people use Archlinux. Second, I don't need to prove with empirical evidence. Most people in the Linux community are aware of Archlinux, there are a number of archlinux-derivatives, Arch is a very well-established distribution that has existed for 11yrs, there are lots of youtube videos on Archlinux and/or discussion of it in other linux-related videos. likewise there are lots of blogs and people using it from all over the place... I also could put together a number of web stats, from Netcraft comparing site traffic, etc - but I'm not wasting my time, you can do that yourself, if you are interested,

    but if you want i can simply rephrase what i said "it is probably in the top ten" - does that make you happier, dipshit...?
    Last edited by ninez; 05-16-2013 at 05:39 PM.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Shit 273 responses fuck that's a lot. Out of more than 20 million Ubuntu users. Really proves your point.



    Does it make any sense to you? Those who don't want to customize won't go to Ubuntu forums to ask how. So of course that most posts in customization will be about how to customize ubuntu. Those who don't customize don't need to post. You argument doesn't mean shit. It's like saying that if I go to the hospital and see a lot of sick persons it means everybody in the world is sick. Only sick people go to the hospital. Only people who want customization ask about it on the Ubuntu forums.
    Bo$$ thank you for your replies, I love it when you rile up the tinfoil hat society.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Shit 273 responses fuck that's a lot. Out of more than 20 million Ubuntu users. Really proves your point.
    Does it make any sense to you? Those who don't want to customize won't go to Ubuntu forums to ask how. So of course that most posts in customization will be about how to customize ubuntu. Those who don't customize don't need to post. You argument doesn't mean shit. It's like saying that if I go to the hospital and see a lot of sick persons it means everybody in the world is sick. Only sick people go to the hospital. Only people who want customization ask about it on the Ubuntu forums.
    the root problem here is not if ubuntu is popular or not, the question is can ubuntu succeed in the desktop? and the answer is no and this apply to other distros as well but a bit less.

    why?

    Desktop linux for average joe miss many important things that will eventually force them back to win/OSx that will require real development muscle far beyond canonical wonder boys and their massive graveyard of dead crappy coded projects.

    but phone/tablet ubuntu has actually high chances of being relevant and that is the real focus of Mir/Unity but Mir/Unity is not enough on the desktop side to get much farther beyond than ubuntu actually is right now.

    Wayland/Systemd are 100% sure for next RHEL along the next LTS kernel on the redhat side and intel with drivers and Tizen goes the same way, so all the big boys in the enterprise bussiness care about wayland[catia/maya/etc] which are the premium client of nVidia and AMD in linux[which is why is been so delicately thinked all this time, its meant for enterprise market which means you cannot mess with it afterwards] and ofc every other distro out there.

    so most likely Mir will suceed in the most used in desktop but stalled close to where is ubuntu now and Wayland will suceed as the standard linux and enterprise choice, so both actually have chance to live on but in their respective markets.

    canonical is trying to isolate themselves but i predict they will rejoin the community later since they don't have the know how to solve the other 300 pending problems outside the DE to be a real contender to MS/Apple in the desktop market.

    problems may face Mir in the desktop?

    1. im sure tegra will support Mir, after all mobile always sell well but nVidia could give them a cold shower with the Desktop side
    2. AMD can go either way, it depends if valve will support Mir close to release or not
    3. Intel won't as simply as that, at least until some time after the first stable release. so ubuntu will have to maintain their mesa branch
    4. Digia is a big if, so far IOS/RHEL and wayland seem their only priority and canonical hasn't submitted any patch than i'm aware of which translates in no official Mir support until Qt 5.3/5.4[which will kill any chance they could have in the enterprise until then] if ever.
    5. Vital apps for the desktop are all focusing on wayland[blender/openshot/kde apps/gnome apps/enterprises apps/wine/crossover wine/etc] which could generate a funny situation for canonical in the short term[server apps are unaffected ofc]
    6. serious lack of bindings to any language which could affect ubuntu app support in the short term

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Shit 273 responses fuck that's a lot. Out of more than 20 million Ubuntu users. Really proves your point.
    I notice how you're not even mentioning the *3 million* users of a *single* customization tool, which is not the only one, nor the other way to customize...Instead you are focusing on *the guy's blog*. hmmm, 3 million downloads (of one app/method), yet you are saying it's only 273 comments...lol Either you have no understanding of simple mathematics and/or actually have a severe mental handycap and/or you're just a disingenuous little terd; to think you have a sensible point here. You aren't constructing a valid argument here. Worse, you are just making your self look stupider and stupider. epic failure.

    I'll take it that by not responding to the rest, your silently accepting that you've been 100% wrong on those points.

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Does it make any sense to you? Those who don't want to customize won't go to Ubuntu forums to ask how. So of course that most posts in customization will be about how to customize ubuntu. Those who don't customize don't need to post. You argument doesn't mean shit. It's like saying that if I go to the hospital and see a lot of sick persons it means everybody in the world is sick. Only sick people go to the hospital. Only people who want customization ask about it on the Ubuntu forums.
    Your argument is an illogical fallacy, it is just as likely that people who DO customize DON'T post, which completely turns your argument on it's head. You have NO reasonable argument here. It's completely invalid. - the plethra of articles, youtube + comments on linux related videos, flckr, etc all suggest that way more people customize Ubuntu than you claim.. I don't need to have an argument - I have evidence to back it up, you have a poorly constructed joke of an argument, and/or are just being completely intellectually dishonest and/or do actually have some severe mental handicap. - you can pick, but personally i think it's all three.
    Last edited by ninez; 05-16-2013 at 08:45 PM.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    I Your argument is an illogical fallacy, it is just as likely that people who DO customize DON'T post, which completely turns your argument on it's head. You have NO reasonable argument here. It's completely invalid. - the plethra of articles, youtube + comments on linux related videos, flckr, etc all suggest that way more people customize Ubuntu than you claim.. I don't need to have an argument - I have evidence to back it up, you have a poorly constructed joke of an argument, and/or are just being completely intellectually dishonest or do actually have some severe mental handicap. - you can pick, but personally i think it's all three.
    No such thing as an Illogical fallacy. There are plenty of logical fallacies.

    His argument is simple:
    A. Users that want to customize are more likely to post on the customization forums.
    B. Users that are content with the default customization are not likely to post on the customization forum.
    C. The number of users posting on the customization forum is small in relation to the install base.
    D. The forum is the main source for help on ubuntu.

    therefore (implied)
    E. Most users are content with the default install.

    Possible issues might be that few users post to forums in general so the comparison to the user base is not the best metric. But otherwise a fair argument.

    Please cite the logical fallacy you are referring to.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenmaher View Post
    No such thing as an Illogical fallacy. There are plenty of logical fallacies.
    that was an editing mistake on my part; i had originally wrote "...Your argument is illogical and a fallacy..." plus another sentence or two - but shortened the whole thing, was supposed to say logical fallacy, i obviously skipped over, or got distracted.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenmaher View Post
    His argument is simple:
    A. Users that want to customize are more likely to post on the customization forums.
    B. Users that are content with the default customization are not likely to post on the customization forum.
    C. The number of users posting on the customization forum is small in relation to the install base.
    D. The forum is the main source for help on ubuntu.

    therefore (implied)
    E. Most users are content with the default install.

    Possible issues might be that few users post to forums in general so the comparison to the user base is not the best metric. But otherwise a fair argument.
    His argument is overly simplistic, and you have also pointed out one concern, as well. I don't think the argument works, really.

    A. While true to some degree, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are. So it's not good to assume that is the case.
    B. I have no dispute with, obviously that makes sense.
    C. In itself, i have no problem with but it becomes a problem when; he is selectively focusing on the forum part, which was actually only a very small point - he has completely ignored the rest of the broader examples. (which make his argument in less compelling than it already was).
    D. Is this even true, though?? there are a variety of sources for help with Ubuntu and the people posting, won't reflect the people viewing, either. again, not a good assumption to make.... I have friend's who use Ubuntu - they'd google, then if that failed ~ call me or someone elase they know for help. (either one would be simpler than using the forum for the most part).

    Quote Originally Posted by allenmaher View Post
    Please cite the logical fallacy you are referring to.
    Non-Sequitur - He is implying a logical connection where there isn't one, necessarily. Which you have also sort of said, whether intentional or not (I have no idea), when you said "therefore(implied)" [marked in bold in above comment]. I really don't think his argument has any validity.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Not sure why everyone's so het up about this

    Linux is all about choice, right?

    Ubuntu is a choice. Mir is a choice. It's not like Microsoft where you have to accept what's offered.

    The way I see it is this: Linux offers an alternative to Windows. Ubuntu offers an alternative for those who favor ease of operation. Mint offers an alternative to Ubuntu. So do dozens of other Ubuntu derivatives, recognized and unrecognized by Canonical (Mint, btw, is not recognized). Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Cent, Arch, PC Linux OS, etc. offer an alternative outside the Ubuntu universe.

    If you don't like Ubuntu, don't use it. But a lot of people like it. Most who use it didn't get it pre-installed, they chose to download and install it themselves. National governments are switching their entire computer operations over to Ubuntu. That's quite an achievement, especially since it didn't involve M$-style coercion, but rather a combination of creating a user-friendly version of Linux and savvy marketing.

    But like I said, ditch it if it's not for you. Just don't drop a turd on everyone who likes Ubuntu just because you don't. Use and let use. We're not preventing you from using your favorite distro. And if Canonical ends up making an unholy mess out of Ubuntu, they won't be able to prevent anyone from switching to Mint or Debian or Crunchbang or even Easy Peasy. Which is probably why they won't make an unholy mess out of it - not if they want to survive.

    As for Canonical not using a Real Linux display manager - what is Real Linux, anyway? Linux is the kernel. The rest is all GNU or other add-ons. Or is it more of an idea? One where if everyone doesn't get their two cents in it's not "Real Linux"? Linux is a community, but it's a fractal one and has been from the start. The idea is that you can stick with the choices available, offer your own improvements to them, or reject the available choices outright and strike out to create your own.

    Or you can bitch about it on the internet using false comparisons and flimsy logic.

    Your choice.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Jesus, where these ubuntu retards come from. Only thing canonical created themselves is unity, that's all. And these pathetic kids talk about easiness of use. Every damn thing except unity and upstart(iirc) is created by someone else NOT canonical. Can you now stop posting this canonical this, canonical that nonsense? I wish ubuntu to fail hard. Oh and lol at brain damaged kids saying Xorg is crap i guess linux kernel is crap too right, because it wasn't ported by f*ing canonical yet?
    Last edited by phoen1x; 06-23-2013 at 05:29 AM.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Jesus, where these ubuntu retards come from. Only thing canonical created themselves is unity, that's all. And these pathetic kids talk about easiness of use. Every damn thing except unity and upstart(iirc) is created by someone else NOT canonical. Can you now stop posting this canonical this, canonical that nonsense? I wish ubuntu to fail hard. Oh and lol at brain damaged kids saying Xorg is crap i guess linux kernel is crap too right, because it wasn't ported by f*ing canonical yet?
    So, you're calling some of the very people maintaining X, braindamaged kids? :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •