Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,645

    Default Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

    Phoronix: Colord 1.0 Released To Manage Open-Source Colors

    Colord 1.0.0 has been released as the system service/daemon that makes it easy and straight forward for managing/installing/creating color profiles for managing colors on Linux input and output devices...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    457

    Default

    So.... explain this like I'm 8, what does this mean to a user?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    So.... explain this like I'm 8, what does this mean to a user?
    Graphic professionals such as artists who work in industry where things needs to look the same on screen as on print use color calibrated displays using ICC profiles.

    With colord you can load ICC profiles so that your monitor is color calibrated so that the colors are accurately displayed so that they look the same on the display as they will appear in the print when they print it on magazines.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,028

    Default Deep color

    Does Linux, DRM, DRI, X.org, Wayland support deep color?
    Colors more than 8 bits per channel?
    Like 10-bit colors or 12-bit colors.
    Like monitors panels and graphics card with 30-bit, 36-bit, 48-bit bpp.

    Does it support scRGB and xvYCC?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    This will probably be merged in systemd.

    Seriously, why daemon is needed for this?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Graphic professionals such as artists who work in industry where things needs to look the same on screen as on print use color calibrated displays using ICC profiles.

    With colord you can load ICC profiles so that your monitor is color calibrated so that the colors are accurately displayed so that they look the same on the display as they will appear in the print when they print it on magazines.
    By the sound of it, it seems very useful for any graphic designer. Is this a standard feature in linux competitors (ie Win and OSX)?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    By the sound of it, it seems very useful for any graphic designer. Is this a standard feature in linux competitors (ie Win and OSX)?
    Yes but not availably widely in Linux or integrated with the popular desktop environments till colord was created. Richard Hughes (Red Hat) is the author and maintainer of it.

    @lightbit, it is activated on demand by D-Bus. It needs to be a deamon to satisfy some of the use cases listed in the colord site.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    By the sound of it, it seems very useful for any graphic designer. Is this a standard feature in linux competitors (ie Win and OSX)?
    Yes. This is why monitors come with a "driver" CD most of the time. It's to install the correct ICC profile for that monitor in Windows. Or if you don't install that, it's why Windows Update installs a monitor "driver" after you connect a new monitor. You get a monitor inf file, which provides possible overrides for broken EDIDs (it's cheaper to override in an INF file that fix the EDID in the monitor) and an ICC profile.
    Last edited by RealNC; 05-13-2013 at 06:24 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    A link to http://www.hughski.com/index.html would have been useful, so here it is anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Linux graphics applications (GIMP, Krita) already have colour management, but it would be nice to get it for the whole desktop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •