Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Ubuntu Set To Terminate Its Brainstorm Project

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Also you cand find broken things with other distros also.
    Really? What you actually are saying here is: Don't blame Canonical for releasing broken software, other distros have broken software, too!
    So what, I blame any organization that releases broken software, when the release is caused by a broken release model, like Ubuntu's "We release on that specific day, no matter in which state the software is" approach.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    I used Gentoo when Arch was not even born. May I ask where you were in the beginning of 2000

    Gentoo was great for learning but not so great when emerge world broke something you had no time to fix. So, back to Debian GNU/Linux.

    When Ubuntu came I saw no need to use it. It took several versions of Ubuntu before I tried it first time. At times Ubuntu almost got behind Debian GNU/Linux. I wondered if Ubuntu would eventually reach Debian GNU/Linux. But no, doesn't seem to happen for it has fell far behind again. Software Shit (center) is a freaking fail, and if you want to do something else than browse web you will always find things broken in Ubuntu.

    Today Ubuntu is like a test bed of how shit derivate you can make.
    In 2000, I was an idiot. And I started playing with Knoopix (couldn't make a setup because I had no computers completely mine back then) and entering an infinite loop of reading the first few chapters of an assembly language course and leaving it waiting til I forget what a register was. I was 9, though, so I can't care less of how ignorant or stupid I was back then. I had the same air of superiority you have right now, with even less merits.
    I don't like software center either; I do use a GUI for apt, though, because it's handy. I use Synaptic. The only thing I keep forgetting how to do with the CLI tools is to see the description of a package, mostly because when I use the CLI I'm usually already sure which package I need to touch, so reading descriptions becomes pointless.
    I do more things than surfing the web, one of them is cross-compiling for Windows, and I found nothing broken on that side. Up until mid 2012 most of my desktop was built from the git repos (LXDE in one box, XFCE in the others), one of my boxes used a custom kernel, built from jsimmons repo. As a natural consequence, I built the X.org driver too. I did, and still do, find things broken in Ubuntu in general from time to time (upgrading is still pretty much broken most of the time). I did find broken things in Arch and Debian, too, while trying to install them on a friend's computer. Debian simply hanged up, I guess in a panic since ctrl+alt+del didn't help, Arch I do not remember what failed at first, and when that got solved, hardware started failing randomly.
    I grant you Debian is pretty much as easy to use as Ubuntu (and its wiki is lovely organized, I use it almost every time I want to toy with the configs) once installed. The main reason I recommend Ubuntu is because some specific packages are easier to get from PPAs for Ubuntu than for Debian and because the installation process is (or was, it was a few years ago I tried to install Debian on my friend's computer, so it might have changed) easier for the beginner. I don't like Unity, but most people I recommended Ubuntu to like it for some reason. I like XFCE the better, and I'd expect it to be easier to adapt to if you come from Windows than Unity.
    I'm not talking because I don't know how to use GNU/Linux, I'm talking because I know how to respect people who just needs shit done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Really? What you actually are saying here is: Don't blame Canonical for releasing broken software, other distros have broken software, too!
    So what, I blame any organization that releases broken software, when the release is caused by a broken release model, like Ubuntu's "We release on that specific day, no matter in which state the software is" approach.
    That's a good point.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    In 2000, I was an idiot. And I started playing with Knoopix (couldn't make a setup because I had no computers completely mine back then) and entering an infinite loop of reading the first few chapters of an assembly language course and leaving it waiting til I forget what a register was. I was 9, though, so I can't care less of how ignorant or stupid I was back then. I had the same air of superiority you have right now, with even less merits.
    Clearly times has changed if using Debian GNU/Linux gives an air of superiority

    So, is there anything I can do to make you "Ubuntu" users happy and content of the fact that people rather use Debian GNU/Linux than "Ubuntu"? Is it enough if I apologize that

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Clearly times has changed if using Debian GNU/Linux gives an air of superiority

    So, is there anything I can do to make you "Ubuntu" users happy and content of the fact that people rather use Debian GNU/Linux than "Ubuntu"? Is it enough if I apologize that
    Using Debian doesn't give any air of superiority. What gives the air of superiority is qualifying the ones who use Ubuntu as "too dumb to use Debian", man.
    Giving advice and insulting are two very different things. And yes, apologizing is enough, THANK YOU.
    But the fact you say this means I misjudged you, so I apologize too.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Using Debian doesn't give any air of superiority. What gives the air of superiority is qualifying the ones who use Ubuntu as "too dumb to use Debian", man.
    Giving advice and insulting are two very different things. And yes, apologizing is enough, THANK YOU.
    But the fact you say this means I misjudged you, so I apologize too.
    Well it was a joke in the first place.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Well it was a joke in the first place.
    Well, I took it as aggressive in the first place. I apologize.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Well, I took it as aggressive in the first place. I apologize.
    No probs and thanks. In my opinion we all are in the same boat, maybe just using different oars, but that should not be a biggie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •