Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

Default VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

Phoronix: VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

NVIDIA's proprietary driver and the open-source Gallium3D Linux graphics drivers -- namely now the open-source Radeon UVD support -- are using VDPAU as their accelerated video playback API. Meanwhile, Intel still continues to invest heavily in VA-API as their preferred video acceleration API for Linux. An exciting set of 42 patches to improve VA-API was published on Monday...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MTU

Question:

Will VA-API work be usefull for Android? Or is it for other userlands?

Default Great

How about H.265/HEVC, and VP9?

I was under impression that one whom had Ivy,Sandy or newer Intel machine already had support for encoding though vaapi. I guess it must have not been previously merged or maybe to lesser extend or something.

Anyway is there hi10p (10bit) hardware decoding on the horizon any time soon for any hardware out there?

but now video encoding support is being spiced up by Intel to benefit their latest generations of Intel hardware running Linux.
    Is that related to Quick Sync support on Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    Yea, that was my fist thought as well. Sounds quite likely. I wonder if FFmpeg will be able to make use of that. That would be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    Yes, it IS QuickSync, but there is a lot of work to be done to allow software to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryszardzonk View Post
    Anyway is there hi10p (10bit) hardware decoding on the horizon any time soon for any hardware out there?
    Nope .

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Yes, it IS QuickSync, but there is a lot of work to be done to allow software to use it.
    And I guess there's even more work to be done until we have a Lucid-Virtu-like solution to engage Intel graphics or discrete cards on a per-application basis, which is what makes QuickSync really useful for professional work.

Anyway, I've been waiting for QuickSync to come to Linux for a long time, so this is great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    And I guess there's even more work to be done until we have a Lucid-Virtu-like solution to engage Intel graphics or discrete cards on a per-application basis, which is what makes QuickSync really useful for professional work.
    I've always wanted to know why Bumblebee technology (or nvidia Optimus) is only available for Notebooks. Perhaps it could be adapted to Desktop machines and work as Lucid on Windows.