Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Ubuntu Looks Towards MySQL Alternatives

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,378

    Default Ubuntu Looks Towards MySQL Alternatives

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Looks Towards MySQL Alternatives

    Arch Linux replaced MySQL with MariaDB, openSUSE gutted MySQL, Fedora replaced MySQL, and now Ubuntu Linux is looking to continue the trend...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3Mjc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Oracle idiots

    It is amazing how Oracle managed to screw everything up.

    OpenSolaris, dropped that.
    OpenOffice.org, lost that and got forked to LibreOffice, and then passed to Apache Software Foundation.
    Java, lots of security vulnerabilities, bad reputation, Google lawsuit.
    OpenSPARC project, canceled, T3 not open source.
    MySQL, forked to MariaDB.

    Nobody likes Oracle. Oracle has the reverse midas touch, everything they touch turn into shit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Nobody likes Oracle. Oracle has the reverse midas touch, everything they touch turn into shit.
    Among the OSS community, sure. Not so much with the people who pay them for stuff... they're still raking in money on their commercial offerings.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Among the OSS community, sure. Not so much with the people who pay them for stuff... they're still raking in money on their commercial offerings.
    VirtualBox also seam to be doing fine still.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    VirtualBox also seam to be doing fine still.
    "Fine" yes but Vmware is better integrated into Linux guests since all of the Vmware drivers for Vmware virtual-devices are mainlined. Their graphics driver even uses Gallium lol.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    VirtualBox also seam to be doing fine still.
    Not quite. The kernel module is horrible and buggy, not upstreamed and never will be. VMWare for its flaws has a done a much much better job of working with upstream kernel developers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    Vbox 4 is far more buggy than the 3 series. I think it *still* has mouse issues, introduced in the 4 series, of course.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    It is amazing how Oracle managed to screw everything up.

    OpenSolaris, dropped that.
    OpenOffice.org, lost that and got forked to LibreOffice, and then passed to Apache Software Foundation.
    Java, lots of security vulnerabilities, bad reputation, Google lawsuit.
    OpenSPARC project, canceled, T3 not open source.
    MySQL, forked to MariaDB.

    Nobody likes Oracle. Oracle has the reverse midas touch, everything they touch turn into shit.
    Don't forget Hudson, same story as MySQL, the original creator and most of the core developers left to start Jenkins. Hudson got handed over to the Eclipse Foundation.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    287

    Default

    OpenOffice is rotting in its grave, MySQL is dead and Java is soon to follow. Microsoft invented 3E and Oracle has perfected it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I'm not a DB expert by any means, but I don't see Postgres mentioned. Isn't it a valid alternative gaining a lot of credibility even in the enterprise markets? Is it much different?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •