Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Microsoft Releases Skype For Linux 4.2, Has Bug-Fixes

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,914

    Default Microsoft Releases Skype For Linux 4.2, Has Bug-Fixes

    Phoronix: Microsoft Releases Skype For Linux 4.2, Has Bug-Fixes

    Microsoft has finally done the Skype for Linux 4.2 update, which rolls in a bunch of bug-fixes but still doesn't put the Linux Skype client on par with OS X or Windows...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3NjM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    828

    Default

    From what I gather WebRTC is a new competing solution to Skype by allowing a web developer to create relatively easily web-based skype alternatives, right?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    From what I gather WebRTC is a new competing solution to Skype by allowing a web developer to create relatively easily web-based skype alternatives, right?
    Pretty much, maybe not encrypted (it could probably be done, just i dont think mandated by the standard), maybe not screensharing, but voice calls? video calls? Yes

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Pretty much, maybe not encrypted (it could probably be done, just i dont think mandated by the standard), maybe not screensharing, but voice calls? video calls? Yes
    Skype isn't as encrypted as you think. MS decrypts everything on their servers, although it it's good enough to keep your average neighborhood script kiddy out. (See recent Ars article for details).

    WebRTC is still in major flux and has a long way to go before it will actually be able to compete with Skype, but yes that's the general idea of where it's heading.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    266

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,563

    Default

    Google Talk (XMPP) already exists and fills that niche. The problem is that most people are using Skype, and you can't persuade them to go use Google Talk instead...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Google Talk (XMPP) already exists and fills that niche. The problem is that most people are using Skype, and you can't persuade them to go use Google Talk instead...
    huh? I thought they removed XMPP from GoogleTalk?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    122

    Unhappy Useless

    Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    It's useless to even post that. I've been on dozens of sites with dozens of links to real meat about the dangers of using Skype. Nobody cares about their privacy, there is no hope for that sector of subjects, just worry about yourself.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Pretty much, maybe not encrypted (it could probably be done, just i dont think mandated by the standard), maybe not screensharing, but voice calls? video calls? Yes
    Screensharing, filesharing etc is actually there in WebRTC. When it becomes more mature, we will have real competition in our hands again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •