Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Hot Relocation HDD To SSD Support For Btrfs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,389

    Default Hot Relocation HDD To SSD Support For Btrfs

    Phoronix: Hot Relocation HDD To SSD Support For Btrfs

    In working to enhance the performance of the Btrfs file-system in cases where certain data/files are frequently used, a set of patches for providing hot relocation support has been posted...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3Njg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Is this similar to Apples Fusion Drive, whereby the capacity of the HDD and SSD are additive rather than the SSD just purely being a cache? Is there any particular reason this work is specific to btrfs and not compatible with other file systems?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
    Is this similar to Apples Fusion Drive, whereby the capacity of the HDD and SSD are additive rather than the SSD just purely being a cache? Is there any particular reason this work is specific to btrfs and not compatible with other file systems?
    That sounds like Intel's Rapid Storage technology for Windows?

    Also I read that Windows has a different way of doing something like that where commonly used files that do not reside on the SSD have their preferences and indexes stored on the SSD instead to speed up retrieval...or something along those lines.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Hybrid HDD/SSD disks and relocation is just for crappy OEM-computers, or people too poor to afford real solid-state disks.

    If you have two disks, this is kinda useless anyways;
    Just put the operating system on your SSD,
    then put all your movies and music on the HDD.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Hybrid HDD/SSD disks and relocation is just for crappy OEM-computers, or people too poor to afford real solid-state disks.

    If you have two disks, this is kinda useless anyways;
    Just put the operating system on your SSD,
    then put all your movies and music on the HDD.
    and put your steam folder on... hum, not enough space on the SSD for all games? too bad for you.
    Keep in mind that you are not representative of each and every linux use case in the world.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    429

    Default

    when will btrfs be ready ? so distros can migrate to it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    and put your steam folder on... hum, not enough space on the SSD for all games? too bad for you.
    Keep in mind that you are not representative of each and every linux use case in the world.
    Just map ~/.steam/ or whatever to /media/hdd/Steam/ with symlink (symbolic link) using the 'ln -s' command.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Hybrid HDD/SSD disks and relocation is just for crappy OEM-computers, or people too poor to afford real solid-state disks.

    If you have two disks, this is kinda useless anyways;
    Just put the operating system on your SSD,
    then put all your movies and music on the HDD.
    And what for business with huge storage, which is what Btrfs is aiming at.

    Should they buy 8TB in SSD? Don't think so.

    Everyone isn't just using their computers to play games and watch porn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •