Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Intel Shows Off GNOME3-Based Tizen Shell

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,435

    Default Intel Shows Off GNOME3-Based Tizen Shell

    Phoronix: Intel Shows Off GNOME3-Based Tizen Shell

    At the Tizen conference this week in San Francisco, Intel showed off an Intel Ultrabook running their next-generation Tizen 3.0 platform that's using a shell/desktop derived from GNOME 3.x...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3ODI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    They have an EFL core, they use html5 for apps and they put Gnome3 on top.


    I am not a computer engineer but what the fuck are these guys think.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    They have an EFL core, they use html5 for apps and they put Gnome3 on top.


    I am not a computer engineer but what the fuck are these guys think.
    Yes, also they put the wrong guy in charge, he could be a programmer but not a speaker, he doesn't speak with confidence, can't properly talk about the ins and outs of the Tizen OS, and doesn't know what the plans for the product are.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    201

    Default

    What interests me is this http://opensource.samsung.com/ and NX 300 OS sources based on Tizen.



    Been wondering why Phoronix has not made a news article of that

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Do people seriously say "Guh-nome 3"? 'Cause, like, gnome's been a word for a long time, and it's pronounced "gnome". At least he didn't shout "GNOME 3" I guess.

    And while I'm complaining, what's this "Intel Ultrabook" business? All Ultrabooks are Intel. It's a trademark Intel owns. And for that very reason it is totally ridiculous to talk about an "Ultrabook" as a type of computer, as Intel wants. They're just notebooks, which are the same as laptops. We're about to see a bunch of morons rejecting AMD-based notebooks saying, "I don't want a notebook; everyone uses Ultrabooks now!" Now you're free to do as you like, but I would have said, "Here is a video of Tizen running on a laptop." I'm pretty sure it would run exactly the same on a laptop or desktop with no Intel parts.

    And why the f are they using a laptop and mouse for a phone OS, with a bunch of Linux applications that require keyboard and mouse. Tizen is a phone OS! I've already seen Gnome 3 on a laptop.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    And why the f are they using a laptop and mouse for a phone OS, with a bunch of Linux applications that require keyboard and mouse. Tizen is a phone OS! I've already seen Gnome 3 on a laptop.
    From the Tizen website: https://www.tizen.org/about
    Tizen is an open source, standards-based software platform supported by leading mobile operators, device manufacturers, and silicon suppliers for multiple device categories such as smartphones, tablets, netbooks, in-vehicle infotainment devices, and smart TVs.
    So having a mouse/touchpad and a keyboard is not something that you won't ever find on Tizen devices.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Do people seriously say "Guh-nome 3"? 'Cause, like, gnome's been a word for a long time, and it's pronounced "gnome". At least he didn't shout "GNOME 3" I guess.

    And while I'm complaining, what's this "Intel Ultrabook" business? All Ultrabooks are Intel. It's a trademark Intel owns. And for that very reason it is totally ridiculous to talk about an "Ultrabook" as a type of computer, as Intel wants. They're just notebooks, which are the same as laptops. We're about to see a bunch of morons rejecting AMD-based notebooks saying, "I don't want a notebook; everyone uses Ultrabooks now!" Now you're free to do as you like, but I would have said, "Here is a video of Tizen running on a laptop." I'm pretty sure it would run exactly the same on a laptop or desktop with no Intel parts.

    And why the f are they using a laptop and mouse for a phone OS, with a bunch of Linux applications that require keyboard and mouse. Tizen is a phone OS! I've already seen Gnome 3 on a laptop.
    Actually AMD releasing their own brand of of thin notebook when Richland APU get release, if I am not mistaken.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    371

    Default

    I'm glad GNOME3 is finally finding its way onto places where it belongs instead of the desktop.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    I'm glad GNOME3 is finally finding its way onto places where it belongs instead of the desktop.
    i am glad gnome 3 replace the old unconfortable and unproductive taskbar and small startmenu pattern which i was wating for 15 years to come to desktop.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a user View Post
    i am glad gnome 3 replace the old unconfortable and unproductive taskbar and small startmenu pattern which i was wating for 15 years to come to desktop.
    Perhaps you have missed the 50+ alternative WMs that have other paradigms than taskbar+startmenu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •