Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,906

    Default New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

    Phoronix: New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

    NVIDIA released today the 319.23 Linux graphics driver, which supports the just-released GeForce GTX 780 graphics card. There's also a couple of other changes to this certified Linux driver update, including 4K HDMI support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3Nzg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141

    Default

    4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

    vdpau (only 10% load):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot002vdpau.png

    vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hot4kvaapi.png

    xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

    Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
    Last edited by fritsch; 05-23-2013 at 06:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arctic circle, Finland
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fritsch View Post
    4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

    vdpau (only 10% load):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot002vdpau.png

    vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hot4kvaapi.png

    xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

    Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
    Umm what, even 38402160 is one 4k resolution, but you obviously know that. Nice cpu load you have there, with vdpau.

    I think that they fixed this bug(or tried to fix it):
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...5-mhz-broken-/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuke81 View Post
    Umm what, even 38402160 is one 4k resolution, but you obviously know that. Nice cpu load you have there, with vdpau.

    I think that they fixed this bug(or tried to fix it):
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...5-mhz-broken-/
    Yeah - not talking about the 4K resolution, but the 4K surface size, when using vdpau decoder.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fritsch View Post
    4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

    vdpau (only 10% load):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot002vdpau.png

    vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hot4kvaapi.png

    xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

    Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
    Here is vaapi without anything running in the background (cause I got mails about the high cpu load, some people cannot read): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot4kvaapi2.png

  6. #6

    Default Nvidia GPU X Linux

    Guys, I'm buying a new laptop and I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970 crossfire and would like to hear from you how's the nvidia driver nowadays. I know we had some acid news sometime ago with Linus criticizing nvidia support but don't know how's the things now and searching on Google didn't helped either.

    Checking benchmarks on notebook check ler me believe the nvidia is better but we'll, it's also expensive and I'm not exactly a gamer. What do you think.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joelteixeira View Post
    Guys, I'm buying a new laptop and I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970 crossfire and would like to hear from you how's the nvidia driver nowadays. I know we had some acid news sometime ago with Linus criticizing nvidia support but don't know how's the things now and searching on Google didn't helped either.

    Checking benchmarks on notebook check ler me believe the nvidia is better but we'll, it's also expensive and I'm not exactly a gamer. What do you think.
    If youre not a gamer stick with intel get yourself HD 4600 or HD4000
    You will avoid:
    - Heat issues due to poor cooling and physical constraints
    - Loudness
    - Size
    - Weight
    - Stupid NVIDIA and AMD driver issues
    - Mobile graphics which are based on same name as their desktop parent are always less powerful which means 780 is faster than 780m

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joelteixeira View Post
    ...I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970...
    If youre not a gamer...
    LOL10char limit

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    LOL10char limit
    You have apparently never dealt with people who think that for BF3 they need SLI Titans

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    You have apparently never dealt with people who think that for BF3 they need SLI Titans
    Hey man, I got 3 SLI'd Titans and I play 2d pong at 1080p.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •