Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    If youre not a gamer stick with intel get yourself HD 4600 or HD4000
    You will avoid:
    - Heat issues due to poor cooling and physical constraints
    - Loudness
    - Size
    - Weight
    - Stupid NVIDIA and AMD driver issues
    - Mobile graphics which are based on same name as their desktop parent are always less powerful which means 780 is faster than 780m
    Thanks, I agreed with you but maybe I didn't explained right. I can't consider myself a gamer, but every now and then I enjoy spending some time gaming - that's why I want a good GPU.

    My main concern is, Linus or anyone else still having reasons to raise the middle finger to NVIDIA or after that sad novel NVIDIA improved linux support?

    EDIT: My actual laptop (XPS 1640 - ATI 4670) is four years old now and I'm outdated on this subject even more. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone with a NVIDIA card was able to follow the drivers update and improvements. And I trust phoronix community more than any other I know. It's my first time participating on the forums but I follow phoronix forums for a long time.
    Last edited by joelteixeira; 07-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joelteixeira View Post
    Thanks, I agreed with you but maybe I didn't explained right. I can't consider myself a gamer, but every now and then I enjoy spending some time gaming - that's why I want a good GPU.

    My main concern is, Linus or anyone else still having reasons to raise the middle finger to NVIDIA or after that sad novel NVIDIA improved linux support?

    EDIT: My actual laptop (XPS 1640 - ATI 4670) is four years old now and I'm outdated on this subject even more. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone with a NVIDIA card was able to follow the drivers update and improvements. And I trust phoronix community more than any other I know. It's my first time participating on the forums but I follow phoronix forums for a long time.
    I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

    Notebooks with powerful GPUs usually have fucked up cooling which means they likely to be affected by throttling

    Optimus support: nVIDIA is working on but according to their readme there are still some caveats
    AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly

    Proprietary Catalyst or NVIDIA drivers still lack some features of its Windows counterparts

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

    Notebooks with powerful GPUs usually have fucked up cooling which means they likely to be affected by throttling

    Optimus support: nVIDIA is working on but according to their readme there are still some caveats
    AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly

    Proprietary Catalyst or NVIDIA drivers still lack some features of its Windows counterparts
    Thanks a lot Ramirez, after reading this I think one single GPU is a better idea at this momment.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering
    There is problems with SLI and CF, but such problems unrealted to Optimus and PowerXpress at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy
    That correct, but joelteixeira may buy laptop with VLIW-based GPU and use it with FOSS driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly
    It doesn't need to be old GPU friendly because there is FOSS driver - that work out of the box with old GPU. What about bleeding edge Xorg/Kernel support? For example latest Catalyst Beta already support latest Fedora.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    183

    Default

    1. Yes, i never claimed otherwise
    2. GCN / or Nvidia 6xx/7xx are much more energy efficient and emanate less heat than previous generations which makes them a better choice for laptop
    3. Yes when 3.11 kernel will be in available it will be much better choice for NI and Evergreen however until SI reaches maturity he will be forced to use Catalyst just like in nVIDIAs case Sadly nouveau is not an option and i dont think it will ever be unlike radeon which advances rapidly

    Sorry about that Catalyst /Kernel support
    Last edited by Ramiliez; 07-23-2013 at 03:47 PM.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    2. GCN / or Nvidia 6xx/7xx are much more energy efficient and emanate less heat than previous generations which makes them a better choice for laptop
    Nobody playing on battery anyway. Energy efficient of GPU that disabled most of the time is one of that features that nice to have but it's not critical.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •