Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel Shows Off GNOME3-Based Tizen Shell

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    I'm glad GNOME3 is finally finding its way onto places where it belongs instead of the desktop.
    A Clutter Based Shell designed around GNOME found its place where evey one uses HTML5 or Qt....

I am rather glad that this is so similar to GNOME 3. It is encouraging that a build of Tizen on a laptop is capable of running GNOME 3.

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    I'm glad GNOME3 is finally finding its way onto places where it belongs instead of the desktop.
    I quite enjoy using gnome-shell on my laptop I really like the interface myself. my only problem with the gnome project as of late is its just way too buggy. nearly every release since gnome 3.0 has very severe and/or annoying bugs that are so obvious that they never should have made it into a final release. I don't think they have enough quality control measures. Even KDE seems much less buggy these days. I'm currently using debian with gnome 3.4 which is the least buggy gnome desktop I've used in a while, I've had lots of issues with 3.6 and 3.8 (for example in 3.8 there's a known bug where opening nautilus randomly crashes gnome-shell and sometimes even totally crashes gnome forcing you to logout)

I like the screen.

Oh wait, my mistake.
    It's absolutely unusable anywhere where there's a light source.

Tizen itself looks ok to me. Let's see whether it's going to become a serious desktop distribution.

Tizen is certainly starting to look more interesting. But how open is it? According to Wikipedia, it's mostly under FOSS licenses, but there's "some" of it under some weird pseudo-open patent trap license... how feasible would it be to fork a fully open version of Tizen?