Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Sega To Release Football Manager 14 For Linux

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I purchased one of these games on a Steam sale, but never played it. But I'll definitely be getting this, if only to support big titles coming to Linux.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Yeah personally I think it's the RIGHT kind of game to bring to Linux. It's not exactly the kind of thing/genre we have a lot of. In fact I can't think of any typical sport related game, though I'm sure there's something out there.

    I can picture there being quite a market for it; Linux is no longer purely the realm of the absolute nerdy.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Another games that need to be available on Linux: Phantasy Star Online 2. The minimum requirement is friendly for low performance desktop and laptop.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    209

    Default

    I wasn't familiar with this franchise before now, when I saw the article title I was expecting to see something based on American football and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a proper football game. This seems like it could be interesting; I will probably pick it up just to try it out.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    I know I'll be very grateful to SEGA if they can release Sonic Adventure DX on Linux (with the complete JP voices!).

    And while we're at it, maybe someone can try to convince Square Enix to release the recently-launched Final Fantasy 14 Reboot on Linux as well...but considering how that game is so graphically intense that it can bring the most powerful graphics cards to their knees, i think i'm asking for the sky here.
    Sonic on Linux would give me an orgasm (even if a lot of the Sonic games aren't that great, they can still be somewhat fun), and since they do release on several different platforms I don't think it is out of the question. Square Enix and Linux though? I really really hope they convert to Linux sometime too because I would love to see not only FF on Linux but also Thief 4 (and previous ones would be awesome too). Oh, and Kingdom Hearts. Linux needs sneakers and roleplaying games!

    Quote Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Yeah personally I think it's the RIGHT kind of game to bring to Linux. It's not exactly the kind of thing/genre we have a lot of. In fact I can't think of any typical sport related game, though I'm sure there's something out there.

    I can picture there being quite a market for it; Linux is no longer purely the realm of the absolute nerdy.
    I can't think of any sports titles either aside from the few racers that try to be realistic. This will certainly be good for the Linux software ecosystem including the Steambox.
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; 05-28-2013 at 11:33 AM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Sonic on Linux would give me an orgasm (even if a lot of the Sonic games aren't that great, they can still be somewhat fun), and since they do release on several different platforms I don't think it is out of the question. Square Enix and Linux though? I really really hope they convert to Linux sometime too because I would love to see not only FF on Linux but also Thief 4 (and previous ones would be awesome too). Oh, and Kingdom Hearts. Linux needs sneakers and roleplaying games!
    Just to clarify: I am referring to the existing PC versions of the games mentioned. Sonic Adventure DX, to my knowledge, is the only post-2D Sonic game that received a proper PC port. I have no problems with having the rest of the Sonic series stay as console exclusives since they were designed to belong on consoles.

    Same thing with Square's Final Fantasy series. To the best of my knowledge, only 4 Final Fantasy games (FF8, FF 11, FF14 and FF14 Reboot) were released for PC, one of which was a console-to-PC port (FF8) and the other 3 were exclusively designed for PC gaming. I don't have any problems with the console versions of the rest of the FF games not being ported over to the PC.

    In fact, I am strongly against porting any console-exclusive title to the PC (that includes Linux) because console owners such as myself paid for the exclusivity for having the title on a specific console system. Ditto for Kingdom Hearts: I have sunk money into a PlayStation 2 and a Nintendo DS to play Kingdom Hearts so I will be understandably pissed to see KH ported onto the PC. Console-exclusives should remain as console-exclusives, period.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 05-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Just to clarify: I am referring to the existing PC versions of the games mentioned. Sonic Adventure DX, to my knowledge, is the only post-2D Sonic game that received a proper PC port. I have no problems with having the rest of the Sonic series stay as console exclusives since they were designed to belong on consoles.

    Same thing with Square's Final Fantasy series. To the best of my knowledge, only 4 Final Fantasy games (FF8, FF 11, FF14 and FF14 Reboot) were released for PC, one of which was a console-to-PC port (FF8) and the other 3 were exclusively designed for PC gaming. I don't have any problems with the console versions of the rest of the FF games not being ported over to the PC.

    In fact, I am strongly against porting any console-exclusive title to the PC (that includes Linux) because console owners such as myself paid for the exclusivity for having the title on a specific console system. Ditto for Kingdom Hearts: I have sunk money into a PlayStation 2 and a Nintendo DS to play Kingdom Hearts so I will be understandably pissed to see KH ported onto the PC. Console-exclusives should remain as console-exclusives, period.
    You paid for an additional piece of gaming hardware that you didn't, on a technical level, need, so you want to see others have to buy it too? That's a selfish reason to wish exclusive games upon the world. Exclusivity is stupid and hurts game developers. Game devs want their games everywhere. It's only console owners that want exclusive titles, that's why Microsoft and others buy game studios or sometimes make demands that a game dev not release for any other platform if they want to release it on theirs.

    I highly doubt the Dreamcast and other consoles with their console-only Sonic and FF titles will be ported, you are correct there most likely, and it will most likely be the ones already ported to Windows that get ported to Linux if they do at all. That doesn't mean we can't still dream though!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    You paid for an additional piece of gaming hardware that you didn't, on a technical level, need, so you want to see others have to buy it too? That's a selfish reason to wish exclusive games upon the world. Exclusivity is stupid and hurts game developers. Game devs want their games everywhere. It's only console owners that want exclusive titles, that's why Microsoft and others buy game studios or sometimes make demands that a game dev not release for any other platform if they want to release it on theirs.

    I highly doubt the Dreamcast and other consoles with their console-only Sonic and FF titles will be ported, you are correct there most likely, and it will most likely be the ones already ported to Windows that get ported to Linux if they do at all. That doesn't mean we can't still dream though!
    Wrong. There is nothing stopping a studio from making a title multi-platform. Many games already exist that have both PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo and PC ports. Just look at Capcom's lineup if you want a good real-world example; they have tons of multiplatform titles that exist on both PCs and consoles, and they also have various PC-exclusive and console-exclusive titles as well.

    If a title has already been released as multi-platform and includes a PC port then they can go ahead and re-release the PC port for Linux. That i have no problem with.

    But if a title has already been established as a console exclusive I don't want it anywhere on a PC ever. I don't care if the title gets ported to other consoles (I didn't mind the fact that FF eventually reached the Xbox after being exclusive to Nintendo and Sony for so long even though I am a PlayStation owner; ditto for how Kingdom Hearts eventually found its way to the Nintendo consoles) but those titles have no business being on the PC.

    The same thing applies for PC-exclusive games; I don't want them appearing anywhere near a console because they don't belong there, period. That is the main reason I don't own an Xbox: while they have their own Xbox-only exclusives, much of their catalogue still consists of PC-to-console ports which I am opposed to, on both principle and performance/playability. Portal is one such example of a game that should have stayed on the PC and never have gotten a console port.

    That's why we pay for consoles; to enjoy access to each system's exclusive library of games. I skipped meals for months just to accumulate enough cash to buy my PS3 and the exclusive games for it, and I don't see why others can't do so.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 05-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Because we enjoy meals more than consoles?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Wrong. There is nothing stopping a studio from making a title multi-platform. Many games already exist that have both PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo and PC ports. Just look at Capcom's lineup if you want a good real-world example; they have tons of multiplatform titles that exist on both PCs and consoles, and they also have various PC-exclusive and console-exclusive titles as well.

    If a title has already been released as multi-platform and includes a PC port then they can go ahead and re-release the PC port for Linux. That i have no problem with.

    But if a title has already been established as a console exclusive I don't want it anywhere on a PC ever. I don't care if the title gets ported to other consoles (I didn't mind the fact that FF eventually reached the Xbox after being exclusive to Nintendo and Sony for so long even though I am a PlayStation owner; ditto for how Kingdom Hearts eventually found its way to the Nintendo consoles) but those titles have no business being on the PC.

    The same thing applies for PC-exclusive games; I don't want them appearing anywhere near a console because they don't belong there, period. That is the main reason I don't own an Xbox: while they have their own Xbox-only exclusives, much of their catalogue still consists of PC-to-console ports which I am opposed to, on both principle and performance/playability. Portal is one such example of a game that should have stayed on the PC and never have gotten a console port.

    That's why we pay for consoles; to enjoy access to each system's exclusive library of games. I skipped meals for months just to accumulate enough cash to buy my PS3 and the exclusive games for it, and I don't see why others can't do so.
    What kind of reasoning is that? You know, if the games get ported to SteamBox, they will also work on PCs. Because consoles are PCs, just with static hardware, branding, and freedom restrictions for keeping vendor lock-in. There is nothing special about them. You can plug a keyboard to a console (if it supports that, see freedom restrictions again) and it will play just like a PC. And you can plug a controller to a PC, and it will play just like a console. The fact that you see differences when you have ports is due to either the game being designed for one type of controller scheme in mind (which is fair enough, they should just leave the scheme as it was in that case, maybe offer another one as an unsupported alternative), or due to the perceived differences between the console and the PC markets, where typically console players are seen as people who like things to be on a silver platter, and PC players are seen as people who like to customise and tweak things. And I don't think such stereotypes are correct to begin with.

    What you get when buying such "console exclusive" titles is the chance to play them sooner. It doesn't mean that they always have to remain exclusive to the console that's just destructive thinking. If you think that the console you bought would be worthless if the exclusive titles were ported to the PC, then perhaps you should also realise that the console was a poor purchase to begin with. At this point, your reasoning feels like "if I made a bad purchase, at least force others to make a bad purchase as well!", and that is not a constructive viewpoint.

    Plus, buying consoles just for that encourages the vendors to continue their lobbying for console-exclusive titles. And that's just bad. It's artificial restrictions again, limits of freedom again. It shouldn't be encouraged in any way.

    Personally I would love to have an opportunity to play Unreal Championship and Unreal Championship II. But it's not at all worth buying a whole (original) Xbox for, and supporting Microsoft in the process.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •