Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eight-Way BSD & Linux OS Comparison

Hybrid View

Default Eight-Way BSD & Linux OS Comparison

Phoronix: Eight-Way BSD & Linux OS Comparison

Being benchmarked today at Phoronix is a comparison of eight different BSD and Linux operating systems. The contenders for this performance roundabout include PC-BSD 9.1, DragonFlyBSD 3.4.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint 15 RC, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 18, Mageia 3, and openSUSE 12.3. Which of these operating systems are the fastest and slowest for a variety of different workloads? Read on to find out.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18742

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post

Being benchmarked today at Phoronix is a comparison of eight different BSD and Linux operating systems. The contenders for this performance roundabout include PC-BSD 9.1, DragonFlyBSD 3.4.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint 15 RC, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 18, Mageia 3, and openSUSE 12.3. Which of these operating systems are the fastest and slowest for a variety of different workloads? Read on to find out.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18742
    How unfortunate that centos was not included in the apache benchmark, seeing as how centos is an extremely popular web platform on the internet. Was centos excluded so that BSD could secure a win in this category?

Default CentOS fastest on Nexuiz

Was surprised to see CentOS be fastest on Nexuiz, considering it focus on server and stability.

Too bad DragonFly BSD was missing from many tests...

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Was surprised to see CentOS be fastest on Nexuiz, considering it focus on server and stability.
    Khem,.. 2.6.x kernel; 2.1 Mesa; couldn't antialias properly and was just skipping, unlike more modern competition that did their homework. BSD can't game at all. No surprises here.

Why use crappy and insecure (and hence extremely fast) ext4? Would've been nice if at least one Linux used btrfs...

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Why use crappy and insecure (and hence extremely fast) ext4? Would've been nice if at least one Linux used btrfs...
    Filesystems take time to mature and using a filesystem used by most distributions as default makes better when testing across operating systems unless you are running a fs benchmark. Also you might want to provide some references on why you consider Ext4 insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post

[...]The contenders for this performance roundabout include PC-BSD 9.1, DragonFlyBSD 3.4.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint 15 RC, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 18, Mageia 3, and openSUSE 12.3. [...]
    @Michael: Instead of testing both Ubuntu and Linux Mint - which are practically identical library-wise, I'd have rather seen results for Debian. I'd be interesting whether the good overall performance comes from the mother distribution, or is home made.

Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    @Michael: Instead of testing both Ubuntu and Linux Mint - which are practically identical library-wise, I'd have rather seen results for Debian. I'd be interesting whether the good overall performance comes from the mother distribution, or is home made.
    +1

For a reasonable comparison, Debian testing could be used, wich is the recommended for desktop/non-critical use.

Debian loves you, why don't love Debian Michael? XD
    Last edited by malkavian; 05-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Last time I checked, people didn't choose their preferred operating system because of some milliseconds for specific tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    Problem is BSD not just a millisecond slower then Linux, it has proven to be as much as 500 times slower then Linux in many areas not tested in this benchmarks. [...]
    *yawn*

I know that you are the anti-BSD-troll here... but, well.... One whole page of senseless comments about how bad BSD is? Oh come on! That's so boring...
    At least confirm your statement from above, if you can -- which I doubt --, so that the people here don't fall asleep.