Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Fedora 19 Beta Released With Lots Of New Work

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    I must admit that even though I'm 0/2 when trying to install F19* on a VM with multiple drives, the F19 storage manager has improved considerably compared to F18, and with the help of Reartes Guillermo [1], I even managed to create my favorite MD RAID + LVM setup, though the steps to achieve it were, err, somewhat overly complex.

    - Gilboa
    * And having problems reporting meaningful BZ as the send bug report dialog simply hangs.
    [1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=969771
    Yeah, I don't think there are any real advanced functionality missing at this point but there are few cases where the UI is still rough. One more obvious case I am aware of is https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...sed_check_mark

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    I'm really worried about Intel performance with Fedora 19. I tried Fedora 19 Beta today. Obviously it has got newer drivers than my current F18 install, but performance was poor (windows movement, animations). Intel performance has been great for me since Ubuntu 11.04, through Fedora 18. In the desktop everything have been 'flying', always better than both crp* radeon open-source driver and fglrx. Not so much with Fedora 19.

    Well, I've been holding back with reporting bugs for F18 since F19 is not to far away. Looks like I'll have to step on it with F19.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    I'm really worried about Intel performance with Fedora 19. I tried Fedora 19 Beta today. Obviously it has got newer drivers than my current F18 install, but performance was poor (windows movement, animations). Intel performance has been great for me since Ubuntu 11.04, through Fedora 18. In the desktop everything have been 'flying', always better than both crp* radeon open-source driver and fglrx. Not so much with Fedora 19.

    Well, I've been holding back with reporting bugs for F18 since F19 is not to far away. Looks like I'll have to step on it with F19.
    All pre-releases run a kernel with has reduced performance but better debuggability. That isn't something to worry about

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    All pre-releases run a kernel with has reduced performance but better debuggability. That isn't something to worry about
    That's not actually true, Rahul. We stop using the debug kernel at Beta. All builds from Beta on should perform at 'full speed'.

    But I haven't seen anyone else, anywhere, indicate any particular problem with 'Intel performance'. Are you sure you're not seeing something else, Bucic? Have you checked performance monitors to see if there's any obvious culprit? Perhaps you're running into one of the logging bugs, or the dconf bug, and something's running your CPU to 100%?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    That's not actually true, Rahul. We stop using the debug kernel at Beta. All builds from Beta on should perform at 'full speed'.

    But I haven't seen anyone else, anywhere, indicate any particular problem with 'Intel performance'. Are you sure you're not seeing something else, Bucic? Have you checked performance monitors to see if there's any obvious culprit? Perhaps you're running into one of the logging bugs, or the dconf bug, and something's running your CPU to 100%?
    Nope. The CPU load seems normal. I might record a video of what I see but is this really necessary? Windows animations in activities are choppy (below 20 FPS), while the notification bar (bottom) animation is smooth. It also seemed like my Thinkpad ran hot where the ATI graphics is even though I ran single-graphics Intel mode (Integrated, without OS detection of switchable gr.). lspci | grep VGA returned info only on the intel adapter.

    One more thing. It was all identical between the freshly installed TC6 and updated TC6.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    I've just did a small test on the TC6-1 Live version, same I used for installation I mentioned earlier. Well, CPU load is easily below 5%, stable. When I bring the activities, back and forth the CPU load jumps to 20% and remains there until I stop poking activities view. Then it settles back below 5% CPU load.

    Thinkpad T500
    Intel GMA45

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    I've just did a small test on the TC6-1 Live version, same I used for installation I mentioned earlier. Well, CPU load is easily below 5%, stable. When I bring the activities, back and forth the CPU load jumps to 20% and remains there until I stop poking activities view. Then it settles back below 5% CPU load.

    Thinkpad T500
    Intel GMA45
    Doesn't sound normal, no - my Intel-based laptop doesn't have that problem at all, for instance. Can you check if somehow you're on software rendering? 'glxinfo | grep render', see if llvmpipe is mentioned.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Doesn't sound normal, no - my Intel-based laptop doesn't have that problem at all, for instance. Can you check if somehow you're on software rendering? 'glxinfo | grep render', see if llvmpipe is mentioned.
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep renderer
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
    I have to re-adjust my descriptions. I looked into it more carefully. It appears that everything is smooth in the desktop... except the Activities transition (in and out). Odly even the workspaces sidepanel animation within Activities is smooth! Scrolling in Firefox is also smooth on websites like this forums. Very weird but it has to be reported. Activities in/out animation is VITAL for desktop experience. It may well be the reason why I finally ditched Ubuntu - the main desktop elements there were slow to appear and fade away, with no perspective of improvement.

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep renderer
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
    I have to re-adjust my descriptions. I looked into it more carefully. It appears that everything is smooth in the desktop... except the Activities transition (in and out). Odly even the workspaces sidepanel animation within Activities is smooth! Scrolling in Firefox is also smooth on websites like this forums. Very weird but it has to be reported. Activities in/out animation is VITAL for desktop experience. It may well be the reason why I finally ditched Ubuntu - the main desktop elements there were slow to appear and fade away, with no perspective of improvement.
    I actually quite often notice that transition is a bit jumpy the first time you trigger it in a session; I don't think it's actually graphics slowness, but that Shell is actually *doing* something when you first trigger the overview, I don't know what. But if you trigger it a few times in succession, the latter ones are very smooth. Is that what you see?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    I actually quite often notice that transition is a bit jumpy the first time you trigger it in a session; I don't think it's actually graphics slowness, but that Shell is actually *doing* something when you first trigger the overview, I don't know what. But if you trigger it a few times in succession, the latter ones are very smooth. Is that what you see?
    Nope. I always disregard behavior during the first time so it's not it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •