Thread: Baseio Game From Ioquake3 Failing To Advance

Default Baseio Game From Ioquake3 Failing To Advance

Phoronix: Baseio Game From Ioquake3 Failing To Advance

It was in early June of last year that developers behind the ioquake3 open-source game engine announced Baseio as a new standalone Quake3-inspired game to include assets licensed under the Creative Commons. One year later, there really isn't anything to show for this open-source game...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MDg

It can't be that hard to learn some basics about 3D modelling and character design, right? Then again, I think their unappealing basis for the project may be one of the reasons they haven't attracted much voluntary talent. I'd argue most people care more about the game's design goals than what engine it uses, so long as it's fairly flexible. And of course, around here there would be concerns whether it's cross-platform, but many of us just stick to gaming on consoles for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    It can't be that hard to learn some basics about 3D modelling and character design, right? Then again, I think their unappealing basis for the project may be one of the reasons they haven't attracted much voluntary talent. I'd argue most people care more about the game's design goals than what engine it uses, so long as it's fairly flexible. And of course, around here there would be concerns whether it's cross-platform, but many of us just stick to gaming on consoles for the most part.
    Well, ioquake3 is a completely obsolete game engine. There are much more capable engines such as Darkplaces (Xonotic) or Cube 2 (Red Eclipse).

Maybe it's more of a case of "Do We Really Need Another Quake-Inspired FPS Game On Linux That Uses Quake 3 Engine?". There's about a dozen or so established ones already isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Maybe it's more of a case of "Do We Really Need Another Quake-Inspired FPS Game On Linux That Uses Quake 3 Engine?". There's about a dozen or so established ones already isn't there?
    Well, we all say "ideas are cheap", no? 8)