Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79

Thread: Shuttleworth Closes Bug #1, Microsoft's Market Share

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    It seems that the bug report was misinterpreted. It clearly states in the description that it's about PCs, and that once it's fixed, it should be possible to buy a completely free software PC in any shop. That hasn't happened yet. I'd say that those affected by the bug should reopen it

    This bug on openSUSE is apparently in progress. Some other projects have it marked as invalid, some as confirmed, some are still marking it as new. Pretty funny

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Closed wontfix
    Closed UPSTREAM ;-)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Google android enhanced the market , okay, excuse accepted, even chrome book hasn't released yet.

    But what the matter with U?

    It sounds like a bug report: no aliens on our planet.

    was closed with a reason: they come themselves.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    It's great that they got people from Microsoft on board. Stop with the paranoia bullshit. That guy knows his stuff. And it's good that now he's on Canonical's side. Good things will come. For you if he had been anywhere near the Microsoft campus he should be banned from using linux.
    LOL, good sarcasm! Is microsoft not nr 1 on desktop? It is! So closing this bug is essentially declaration of defeat, defeat means submitting to enemy.

    This guy is in top position, even above Bacon. And he is Canonical employee now! Remember Elop?! Yes, he should be banned from entering opposing company within at least several years, instead he is catapulted in top position right in the time when Canonical has clearly departed its own way of things, ie being ubuntu!

    You say "Good things to come" for every closed source nvidia release and also never miss a chance to crap about opensource drivers! What a joke! What a joke!!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    If ubuntu want to be user friendly, why they continue to ship this with nvidia free drivers? It's a shit..., mi nvidia gt 670 can't try ubuntu on a live usb because unity crash every time. :/ BAD BAD, They need to learn about pclinux os.
    You should complain to nvidia for not providing viable/sane/OSS drivers for their crappy hardware.

    Either that or upgrade to a radeon.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    62

    Default

    These days I sadly find less and less reasons to cheer for Ubuntu.

    Mark and Canonical should take a lesson from history.
    Look at what happened to the companies who buddied up with Microsoft. Novell, SCO, Xandros, Linspire... All in the recycle bin. Nokia might follow the same path. Red Hat, on the other hand, didn't bend its knees and is prospering. Google is in no bad shape as well.

    Now to which group does Canonical want to belong?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    The other day he was extolling the virtues of Microsoft. I think it's just another step in Canonical abandoning the desktop altogether. Or kind of a round-about way of admitting defeat.
    Yeah, I don't think Canonical cares about the desktop anymore, they're focusing on phones and tablets now.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    IMO, this phone thing is their last-ditch effort to make it. If this doesn't work, they're done. The writing is on the wall. There's just no point in sustaining such a huge enterprise like Canonical with so little progress.

    Unfortunately I see their phone as being in a similar market position as the desktop. There are bigger players and much better products. I think it's going to be a "for fans only" kind of phone.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    IMO, this phone thing is their last-ditch effort to make it. If this doesn't work, they're done. The writing is on the wall. There's just no point in sustaining such a huge enterprise like Canonical with so little progress.

    Unfortunately I see their phone as being in a similar market position as the desktop. There are bigger players and much better products. I think it's going to be a "for fans only" kind of phone.
    I think i agree - although they won't necessarily just shut down. But if the mobile stuff doesn't pan out I definitely see Shuttleworth trying to sell the company, and who knows what the new owners would focus on. Maybe keep working on mobile, or maybe somebody out there would try to turn it back towards making desktop linux profitable. Dismantling the entire company is 1 possibility.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    The personal computing market is now more broad than it was in 2004 with phones, tablets, and wearable computing now being out there.

    They redefined the desktop to personal computing market.
    No it has not! There were phones before 2004. Current tables and smartphones are nothing else but notebooks. Nothing changed.

    In fact, the only "change" was due to Google acting right on reaping smartphone market from microsoft, but it did wrong by not using clean Linux and most important totally ignoring opensource in userspace.

    No, they have not changed anything. Desktops stayed, parts of it are attacked by consoles. Tablets just tried to replace notebooks, but failed in some ways - show me tablet with exchangable battery xD. This whole modern roar is about nothing, exactly like roar of stereo 3D that comes and goes every decade. How is messaging gadget supposed to replace PC experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    And I am sure he is catapulted in that position because Microsoft, being evil, has forced Canonical to employ him and make him their master. I don't say anything about closed source nvidia because I never used nvidia drivers since I don't have a nvidia card. What I do say is that the closed source drivers are better performace-wise than anything open source and for right now open source guys should learn to play along with the big boys if they want a chance on the market instead of complaining that AMD and nvidia don't open source their drivers.
    Yes, I agree here. They are upon some agreement, probably Ubuntu will be either sold to MS, or MS will substitute all other Linuxes on servers with Ubuntu server in exchange for serious Linux infestation with microsoft or microsoft-controlled.
    But I disagree on the rest, because I like my opensource big boys - gutenprint for epson, radeon and intel for corresponding hardware! They perform way better than closed source parts, so closed source has to quit attaching itself to everything that is critical yet feeding on opensource and learn to play with big boys!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •