Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,121

    Default ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

    Phoronix: ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

    ReactOS, the open-source operating system aiming to reimplement the Microsoft Windows NT architecture, finally has out version 0.3.15. New to ReactOS 0.3.15 is early support for USB keyboards, mice, and storage devices...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MTk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Hooraaay!

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

    ReactOS, the open-source operating system aiming to reimplement the Microsoft Windows NT architecture, finally has out version 0.3.15. New to ReactOS 0.3.15 is early support for USB keyboards, mice, and storage devices...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MTk


    Hoooray! Bleeding egde capability. Definitely will use ReactOS now. That's what I was missing.

    PS. Nvidia claims it will not support Linux OS anymore. They build a new team and the existing developers in the number of ONE are (is) reassinged to ReactOS.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    287

    Default Looking better...

    It might almost be useable on newer computers now, if you can find compatible software, have or don't need the right ethernet card, and aren't concerned about wireless or anything exotic like that.

    IE: It's a big step in the right direction..but a step only takes you so far.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    IE: It's a big step in the right direction..but a step only takes you so far.
    It's a project that's quite fun for hobby purposes and fun for the project devs, but otherwise completely useless. Anyone who seriously thinks this can ever be a replacement for Windows, needs a serious reality check.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    Hoooray! Bleeding egde capability. Definitely will use ReactOS now. That's what I was missing.

    PS. Nvidia claims it will not support Linux OS anymore. They build a new team and the existing developers in the number of ONE are (is) reassinged to ReactOS.
    The whole idea of ReactOS is not needing nvidia to support ReactOS. That's the point of having binary compatability with Windows.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    It's a project that's quite fun for hobby purposes and fun for the project devs, but otherwise completely useless. Anyone who seriously thinks this can ever be a replacement for Windows, needs a serious reality check.
    Agreed, but on the other hand, what was the point of making it in the first place? Linux is better at being windows than ReactOS, in a compatibility and functionality point of view anyway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Agreed, but on the other hand, what was the point of making it in the first place?
    Probably something of a 'because we can' kind of thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Linux is better at being windows than ReactOS, in a compatibility and functionality point of view anyway.
    But it doesn't take Windows drivers. A binary compatible clone of Windows that accepts Windows drivers will have superior support for third-party desktop peripherals and hardware than Linux will ever have since every single such device has at least a Windows driver.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    Probably something of a 'because we can' kind of thing.



    But it doesn't take Windows drivers. A binary compatible clone of Windows that accepts Windows drivers will have superior support for third-party desktop peripherals and hardware than Linux will ever have since every single such device has at least a Windows driver.
    True, but so far how many of those drivers have actually worked?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    686

    Default

    And next Year XP reaches the EOL.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Yea, it would also be a nice middle ground while migrating from Windows to Linux. Gradual changes make it easier to adapt for people.

    Unfortunately, sometimes it makes me wonder whether ReactOS or Hurd advances faster... Both are currently more or less unusable on regular hardware for daily tasks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •