Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

Hybrid View

Default PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

Phoronix: PulseAudio 4.0 Brings Many Changes

PulseAudio 4.0 is now available and with it comes many changes to this commonly used but sometimes controversial audio server...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MzM

The Jack handoff fixes will be really nice. My main complaint is that sometimes things break when starting/stopping jack with PA active.

I hope they fixed a few bugs while they were at it. My on some days my pulseaudio crashes very often :/ 12.04 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Caledar View Post
    I hope they fixed a few bugs while they were at it. My on some days my pulseaudio crashes very often :/ 12.04 x64
    If you want bugs to be fixed, you should file them and provide the details rather than just hope that someone else found and fixed it on their own. This is especially true for components which can have hardware dependent issues which is the case here.

The real question is: Can it silence your speakers when you plug in earphones yet?

Quote Originally Posted by StephanG View Post
    The real question is: Can it silence your speakers when you plug in earphones yet?
    ?? That's worked for me for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanG View Post
    Check alsamixer auto-mute enabled feature. For some reason it was Disabled in Debian for myself.

I'm still waiting for PulseAudio 3.x to stop crashing with Debian Gnome 3.8.2 or KDE 4.10.2. Good thing I have alsa underneath to keep on trucking along even after Pulse craps the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    If you want bugs to be fixed, you should file them and provide the details rather than just hope that someone else found and fixed it on their own.
    Why? At least on openSUSE deactivating PA is just as easy as unchecking a single checkbox in YaST.
    Every time a new PA version landed in openSUSE, I switched it on, heard cracks and stutters especially in Flash[1], and then decided to let PA go fuck itself again.

Even if PA didn't have these bugs for me, PA simply does not offer a single benefit for me over pure ALSA. I don't have a LAN to stream audio over, I don't have Bluetooth devices, I hate all forms of telephoning, etc.

If switching something off is easier than debugging and investigating the source of a problem of a component I don't even need (!), I simply don't do it.

[1] People sometimes say it's the fault of Flash and not PA and I believe them. I'm fully aware that Flash is a POS but some websites I browse require Flash whereas nothing I do requires PA, so out goes PA.

Does it still have so much latency when not using HT?

Now we need the likes of KDE to allow easy mixing of record channels. Example GUI for mixing or choosing the record channels per program or base desktop. It's pathetic in some programs where you're trying to figure out /dev/ device socket and in many cases non are manifest.