Thread: Ubuntu 14.10 Will Target Qt 5.3 Support

Default Ubuntu 14.10 Will Target Qt 5.3 Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10 Will Target Qt 5.3 Support

The Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" release will most likely be shipping with the Qt 5.3 tool-kit...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NDU

Default Buzzwording again?

Maybe I am wrong, but unless KDE is being ported soon to Qt v5.3 or Ubuntu people is jumping into that, which part of Ubuntu will benefit from this targeting?
    Marketing!
    Canonical is not even supporting KDE anymore!

Ah!

Default Ubuntu + KDE = Lost opportunity

In my opinion, Ubuntu made a bad choice by going with Gnome early on. They should have started with KDE and used their resources to help polish it up until it was as seamless an experience as gnome 2 was. They would have had a very functional desktop and could have avoided the need to go to unity (which they could have easily built into their KDE based distro as a new plasma shell.)

In my opinion, Ubuntu made a bad choice by going with Gnome early on.

Totally agree. Imagine where the linux desktop would be now if Canonical had put the last 5+ years effort directly into KDE. However, Canonical negotiating with Trolltech -> Nokia -> Digia would have been interesting especially now that Digia are not open sourcing some of the best and more advanced parts of Qt5.

Quote Originally Posted by sheldonl View Post
    In my opinion, Ubuntu made a bad choice by going with Gnome early on. They should have started with KDE and used their resources to help polish it up until it was as seamless an experience as gnome 2 was. They would have had a very functional desktop and could have avoided the need to go to unity (which they could have easily built into their KDE based distro as a new plasma shell.)
    I think the same in an everyday basis. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 right now, but, my friend, how I miss the Mandriva days with my buggy but pretty and quick KDE4 interface and applications.
    When Canonical says it was moving to QT, I remember I was so happy for me and the Linux community... but it's moving so slowly. But now seens like the Ubuntu 14.10 may be the first of a new generation. So in 4+ years we may have a true functional QT based desktop.
    Now is just a matter of "when", not "if" anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Uqbar View Post
    Maybe I am wrong, but unless KDE is being ported soon to Qt v5.3 or Ubuntu people is jumping into that, which part of Ubuntu will benefit from this targeting?
    Marketing!
    Canonical is not even supporting KDE anymore!

Ah!
    The whole disscussion was started by Scott Kitterman which acts as the Kubuntu representative on the release team when Jonathan Riddell is not available.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/038278.html

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
    Wed May 14 11:58:26 UTC 2014

This cycle the Kubuntu team has work planned (packaging Plasma 5, the Qt5
    based KDE desktop environment) that requires Qt 5.3. Is there any objection
    to making Qt 5.3 the targeted major Qt5 release for 14.10?

Scott K

Also when Pat McGowan from Canonical asked what part of KDE requiers Qt 5.3 Scott replied with this:

It's a requirement for the upcoming Plasma 5/Plasma Next (they are still
    arguing about the name as far as I can tell) - the Qt5 based version of the
    KDE Plasma Workspaces. We don't intend to ship it to our users as our
    primary release in 14.10, but we have decided we want to make it available.

Qt 5.3.0 is now released and Debian has started packaging it, so I'd like to
    make this transition in the near future (as discussed at the last UDS, this
    ought to be done earlier rather that later in the development cycle).

Scott K

P.S. I'm subscribed to the list so there's no need to cc me.

AFAIK, canonical has always had troubles with KDE. They didn't care when KDE users had problems, they didn't care for their opinion, and now they are developing their own desktop environment instead of contributing to KDE (do you remember a similar story in some other context? yeah, Wayland/Mir...).
    Canonical has wasted a lot of resources on stuff that they later abandon, they contribute nothing of value to the F/OSS community, they have taken the wrong paths many times before and keep repeating the same mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Uqbar View Post
    Third party projects, other software also uses Qt5. ;-)

Personally I would like to see proper Qt 5.2 packages in 14.04, somehow they managed to keep QtWebKit from Qt 5.1.1. :-|