Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debian 7.0 GNU/Linux vs. GNU/kFreeBSD Benchmarks

Hybrid View

Default Debian 7.0 GNU/Linux vs. GNU/kFreeBSD Benchmarks

Phoronix: Debian 7.0 GNU/Linux vs. GNU/kFreeBSD Benchmarks

Up this morning are benchmarks comparing the performance of Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 to Debian GNU/kFreeBSD 7.0, the version of the Debian operating system that ships the GNU user-land but replaces the Linux kernel from that of FreeBSD 9.0...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4NzQ

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    Now, given that FreeBSD in general is safer and more stable, no one should really care.
    In your dreams. Linux is used in the most demanding workloads not BSD. Linux is also more safe and provides more security mechanisms. BSD is worse in every case, it seems. One should ask a question: why do they even care to provide kfreebsd kernel? It's so typical for bsd fanboys and trolls: bsd is faster! Benchmarks show it's not. So, bsd is more safe! Reality show it's not. So, it must be more stable! Again, reality show it's not. The last two things cannot be proven easily, but if it was more safe and stable it would be used in the most demanding workloads and environments where security is a priority. Nothing like this has place.
    Last edited by kraftman; 06-10-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Default Hurd

I would like to see a three-way comparison with Linux, kFreeBSD and Hurd.

Would be pretty cool if Debian could get a Solaris, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD and MINIX kernel too.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I would like to see a three-way comparison with Linux, kFreeBSD and Hurd.

Would be pretty cool if Debian could get a Solaris, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD and MINIX kernel too.
    First three are there, but Debian solaris variant is in the works right now... have livecd and can run X

http://osdyson.org/news/22
    http://osdyson.org/projects/dyson/wiki

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    In your dreams. Linux is used in the most demanding workloads not BSD. Linux is also more safe and provides more security mechanisms. BSD is worse in every case, it seems. One should ask a question: why do they even care to provide kfreebsd kernel? It's so typical for bsd fanboys and trolls: bsd is faster! Benchmarks show it's not. So, bsd is more safe! Reality show it's not. So, it must be more stable! Again, reality show it's not. The last two things cannot be proven easily, but if it was more safe and stable it would be used in the most demanding workloads and environments where security is a priority. Nothing like this has place.
    So 'kraftman', aka 'OpenSLOWLARIS', aka 'LinuxANALSBSD' is back...

Wink Division by zero!

GNU/kFreeBSD
    You just divided by zero, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by archibaId View Post
    Correct, BSD == zero
    But then GNU divided by kFreeBSD gives infinity?

I have been converted.

I've uninstalled BSD and installed Linux. I now see the truth and I support Linux and hate BSD.
    And now you're are marked as a junior member and your post count was lowered to four. BSD folks don't tolerate such betrayals.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    And now you're are marked as a junior member and your post count was lowered to four. BSD folks don't tolerate such betrayals.
    I had to change emails and get new accounts because I've been getting a lot of hate mail and death threats from OpenBSD people for saying that I switched. I really am not feeling safe now.

Also, my previous phoronix account was hacked so I can't access it now.
    to my impersonator: you've been reported.

kraftman: this is a new account, not registered by me, hence the lower post count and different username. What on earth could BSD users do to a Phoronix account? How could they possibly lower the post count?

The account was created with the deliberate intention of causing trouble. If somebody has a problem with their account the logical thing to do is to email the administrator, not to create a new account that is suspiciously similar to the last one and radically change one's views.

I had to change emails and get new accounts because I've been getting a lot of hate mail and death threats from OpenBSD people for saying that I switched. I really am not feeling safe now.

Also, my previous phoronix account was hacked so I can't access it now.
    Oh please, everyone's over this childish roleplay. You're not fooling anybody, unless you would like to support it with hard evidence.