Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 113

Thread: Reasons For Losing Motivation In Wayland

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,805

    Default Reasons For Losing Motivation In Wayland

    Phoronix: Reasons For Losing Motivation In Wayland

    While many are super excited about Wayland and the thought of X11 finally going away in the coming years, some who have been enthusiastic about Wayland/Weston are starting to lose interest. Here's the reasons by one Wayland enthusiast for losing motivation in the project...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4ODc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    280

    Default

    This is why you should have fully tested code whit everything developed in branches witch needs approval of both the build bot and a team member to merge back to master.

    On this plane Mir is superior over Wayland, to bad Wayland isn't developed this way.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pajn View Post
    This is why you should have fully tested code whit everything developed in branches witch needs approval of both the build bot and a team member to merge back to master.

    On this plane Mir is superior over Wayland, to bad Wayland isn't developed this way.
    As noted in the article, the problem is with Cairo and Mesa. Mir also uses these, so Mir users would run into the same issues.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default

    This migration X -> Wayland is taking ages and I wonder if it will append before 2016.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    One of the downsides I see is that there appears to be as much developer interest in Wayland as there is in X.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    One of the downsides I see is that there appears to be as much developer interest in Wayland as there is in X.
    Let's see, there are a lot of applications developed for X. The X.org releases are also fairly common. So if what you say is true, then Wayland is in a pretty good position indeed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenxiaolong View Post
    As noted in the article, the problem is with Cairo and Mesa. Mir also uses these, so Mir users would run into the same issues.
    Well, there is XWayland too.

    But I agree Cairo and Mesa should also be fully unit tested.

  8. #8

    Default

    Personally I'm losing interest because it only works on the open drivers. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if they had PM functionality since the performance is already good enough in the open drivers, but without PM the open drivers are pretty much useless for everything except starting house fires.
    Last edited by chris200x9; 06-12-2013 at 01:48 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Personally I'm losing interest because it only works on the open drivers. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if they had PM functionality since the performance is already good enough in the open drivers, but without PM the open drivers are pretty much useless for everything except starting house fires.
    High five. If it won't be using binary drivers (or binary drivers won't have necessary bits for wayland) wayland simply doesn't exist for me. I am using Nvidia hardware and I like to play games - closed drivers have all the features and quality I need and novueau is beyond terrible.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Personally I'm losing interest because it only works on the open drivers. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if they had PM functionality since the performance is already good enough in the open drivers, but without PM the open drivers are pretty much useless for everything except starting house fires.
    Intel drivers for linux have (always ?) been open-source for a good while. So no problems there.
    AMD drivers are getting into very good shape and are backed by AMD itself (maybe not as much as it should be, but they keep on improving the closed source ones in the meanwhile).

    Only leaves the nvidia drivers. That is a problem. But i don't see any reason for nvidia to support an unused display server just yet. If it became widely used, i have no doubts that nvidia would be quick to support it.

    Bottom line, i don't really see a big problem in the driver department.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •