Thread: Core i7 4770K - HD Graphics 4600 On New Linux Kernels

Default Core i7 4770K - HD Graphics 4600 On New Linux Kernels

Phoronix: Core i7 4770K - HD Graphics 4600 On New Linux Kernels

For the past week on Phoronix since the public debut of Intel's Haswell processors there has been a lot of coverage. The CPU performance is generally great but the Haswell Linux graphics support is still a work-in-progress even though its performance has already evolved a lot. This Sunday are some extra Core i7 4770K benchmarks...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4NzE

I've ordered a 4770K with a GTX 770, hence I wonder how to disable that on Ubuntu.

Is there actually a point in buying these if one isn't interested at all in the integrated graphics and already has a Sandy Bridge CPU?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Is there actually a point in buying these if one isn't interested at all in the integrated graphics and already has a Sandy Bridge CPU?
    There are some IPC improvements but they are offset somewhat by lower overclocking potential (which will vary from particular chip to chip of course). Not a huge upgrade by any means, I'd wait for the next generation. Personally I'm hoping that AMD's Steamroller catches up to or exceeds SB IPC along with reducing it's power usage. That would be enough for me to consider switching as they don't remove features on their overclocking chips like VT-D/IOMMU which would be nice to have for VGA passthrough. That and having a 8 core chip would be great for Gentoo.