Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake 0.9.9 Supports OpenCL Offloading

Default Handbrake 0.9.9 Supports OpenCL Offloading

Phoronix: Handbrake 0.9.9 Supports OpenCL Offloading

The Handbrake open-source video transcoder program now supports using OpenCL for accelerating certain operations along with introducing other new features to its brand new 0.9.9 release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3NTg

Looks like the OpenCL part is windows only for now.

Very good news. It's always nice to see OpenCL being used on Linux. Hopefully Blender Cycles will support it soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Very good news. It's always nice to see OpenCL being used on Linux. Hopefully Blender Cycles will support it soon too.
    Hmm I'm not seeing opencl support for linux anywhere at the handbrake website. When you go to the OpenCL beta download page all of the binaries are windows only. I dont think linux is getting the opencl part at this time. So this article is kind of misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by philip550c View Post
    Hmm I'm not seeing opencl support for linux anywhere at the handbrake website. When you go to the OpenCL beta download page all of the binaries are windows only. I dont think linux is getting the opencl part at this time. So this article is kind of misleading.
    People are not reading the announcement very carefully.
    1. HandBrake OpenCL is Beta
    2. It's not in the 0.9.9 release

As a rule, HandBrake doesn't release major features till they work on *all* platforms we claim to support (windows, osx, linux). So when it's ready, it should be working on all. Intel QuickSync is also in the pipeline.

Here's the actual announcements if you care to get it from the source http://handbrake.fr/news.php

It would be nice to see some benchmarks. It seems that the supported operations are cropping and scaling.

Given that the PCI transfer is extremely expensive, and scaling and cropping rather cheap operations, I'm surprised that this is worthwhile.

On the other hand, it's probably just a first step, with more complex operations planned in the future.

when is the 1.0 coming out?

Thank you AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It would be nice to see some benchmarks. It seems that the supported operations are cropping and scaling.

Given that the PCI transfer is extremely expensive, and scaling and cropping rather cheap operations, I'm surprised that this is worthwhile.

On the other hand, it's probably just a first step, with more complex operations planned in the future.
    You have to transfer the video to the graphics card anyway because of the connection to the display.

The most optimal way would be to load the video into the graphics card memory and decode, composite and post-process on the graphics card. The graphics card is much better suited for graphics calculations and it frees the CPU for other tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    You have to transfer the video to the graphics card anyway because of the connection to the display.
    But surely handbrake doesn't need to do this often, as it's a transcoding program, not a video player.