Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 106

Thread: I got robbed at gunpoint today....

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default OP: I feel for you but...

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Wise decision. When someone points a gun at you, he's so much less likely to shoot you if you point one right back at him.

    Smart move.
    That's not necessarily true. By the time you pull out your gun, the miscreant may pull the trigger as a jerk action. I understand the anguish and fear the OP may have but getting a gun is not the solution. The best thing you can do if someone points a gun at you is to give them whatever they want because your life is number 1, the material you lose is replaceable. I urge you to seriously consider this sort of thing. Instead you may be better off through keeping yourself safe in other ways such as taking self defense classes, avoid being by yourself during strange hours, etc.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belal1 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. By the time you pull out your gun, the miscreant may pull the trigger as a jerk action. I understand the anguish and fear the OP may have but getting a gun is not the solution. The best thing you can do if someone points a gun at you is to give them whatever they want because your life is number 1, the material you lose is replaceable. I urge you to seriously consider this sort of thing. Instead you may be better off through keeping yourself safe in other ways such as taking self defense classes, avoid being by yourself during strange hours, etc.
    Woosh... pretty sure RealNC was being sarcastic. The point is you may be the guy standing in the back of a convenience store one day... you might be the guy that has to disable or if you must kill the robber. Personally I wouldn't shoot him unless made a bad move.... but you gotta do what you gotta do in those situations. I don't currently own a gun but it is something people should think about.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    You know, in Russia one highly respected amoung locals ex-specops guy by accident killed an armed childraper. He heard cries and saw the asshole raping his 10 year old niece, girl later said that asshole told her he will kill her afterwards. The specops guy got 2 year sentence for saving his own niece.., even though the whole village where he lived was protesting against jailing the hero.
    If he was that highly trained, it's doubtful he killed the guy "accidentally".

    There was a similar case here in the US, where some guy came upon somebody in the middle of raping his daughter, and he killed the guy. Admitted it to the police. I'm not sure whatever happened to that case, but there was obviously a fair amount of support for just letting him go free, and there were others arguing that you had to follow the rule of law - just beat the shit out of the guy and let the police take him away instead of killing him.

    Edit: yeah, the grand jury refused to indict him, so no jail time.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 06-15-2013 at 03:28 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belal1 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. By the time you pull out your gun, the miscreant may pull the trigger as a jerk action. I understand the anguish and fear the OP may have but getting a gun is not the solution. The best thing you can do if someone points a gun at you is to give them whatever they want because your life is number 1, the material you lose is replaceable. I urge you to seriously consider this sort of thing. Instead you may be better off through keeping yourself safe in other ways such as taking self defense classes, avoid being by yourself during strange hours, etc.
    It's well recorded and acknowledged even by people like Michael Moore that a gun being pulled on them or even the threat of a gun being pulled on them is enough to make the average criminal back down, and that individuals who respond defensively rather than giving in suffer less psychological trauma. The studies have also shown that areas which deregulate firearms have a sudden and steady drop in crime rate. Further on that point anyone who was intent on shooting you would be doing so regardless these are the exception however not the rule.

    Furthermore by giving in you're giving positive reinforcement to criminal activity by rewarding him for robbing you by giving him your stuff. As a result the criminal is going to be more prone to repeating this crime, because it's an easy reward and power trip. By resisting you're dramatically increasing the risk to the criminal and making it much more difficult for him to get his reward (your material possessions) thus making him less prone to doing future crimes, and if everyone stopped giving in and was armed appropriately then only the most brazen criminals would be committing crimes because the risk/reward ratio is far too high.

    Edit: 1st Degree murder is an exception to the second paragraph because while it makes it more difficult for them, they're going to try to kill the person regardless, and whether that's by poison, a knife, a gun, or something else like a car because they want this person dead and don't care as much about their own lives as long as they can achieve this goal.
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 06-15-2013 at 03:29 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belal1 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. By the time you pull out your gun, the miscreant may pull the trigger as a jerk action. I understand the anguish and fear the OP may have but getting a gun is not the solution. The best thing you can do if someone points a gun at you is to give them whatever they want because your life is number 1, the material you lose is replaceable. I urge you to seriously consider this sort of thing. Instead you may be better off through keeping yourself safe in other ways such as taking self defense classes, avoid being by yourself during strange hours, etc.
    Exactly due to people like you robbers exist. Each sheep gets a wolf. You will die anyway and giving everything to the robber strengths his logic. All wise I knew actually gave robber the money out of empathy for his way of life, they felt sorry for him, nothing more. But behaving like you suggest is sure way to be robbed, raped and shot. Consider this sort of thing.

    The rest of what you suggested with wrong - self defence classes - unless you learn to throw chopsticks as a weapon(even then, very very slick chance), no type of self defense can deactivate the armed enemy, even if you study and condition yourself more than 20 years and know iron shirt etc.

    Avoiding may sound good, but instead is a form of ignorance and cowardice; instead a man should always be aware and ready to deal with any situation at any time.
    Last edited by brosis; 06-15-2013 at 03:31 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    If he was that highly trained, it's doubtful he killed the guy "accidentally".

    There was a similar case here in the US, where some guy came upon a guy in the middle of raping his daughter, and he killed the guy. Admitted it to the police. I'm not sure whatever happened to that case, but there was obviously a fair amount of support for him to just let him go free, and there were others arguing that you had to follow the rule of law, just beat the shit out of the guy and let the police take him away instead of killing him.

    Which reinforces my reasoning... at least give the guy a chance to surrender otherwise your commiting a crime of passion. Of course if he then continued being violent you'd have to make the call if you can't handle the situation safely you may have to shoot a bit more lethally. Maybe the guy ought to die but that isn't for us to decide that said we do have right to protect ourselves and others you just have to make sure you don't go too far.

    Here in NC we have a Stand Your Ground law that protects homeowners who shoot intruders now if they guy is running away across your yard.... you gotta let him go.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default Alright

    Quote Originally Posted by inteIIivision View Post
    Do you really think that banning gun ownership is going to stop this sort of thing?

    Look at Australia, their so proud of their so proud of their retarded draconian gun laws. But once a month in Sydney, New South Wales, there are always one or two drive by shoots once a month showing that their gun banning laws are useless.

    Also, there are many other countries that ban guns and still have much higher rates of homicide involving guns.
    Firstly, since you seem to have just made this account for this thread(be you someone else on this forum or not) and appear to have some hate for Australia (of which no-one in this thread from Australia said anything about the US or you) I would like to say Fuck You, on behalf of my country, for your lovely opinions on us.

    A comparison: Per 100,000 population, in the US (2010), 10 (10.26) people were killed by firearms, compared to 1(1.06) in Australia. That's approx 10x the difference. I'm sure that's a statistical anomaly.

    Now I'm not arguing that you shouldn't, or can't have Guns in the US, but I will take offence at your attack on Australia, since for us, this has worked out quite well.

    As one American Gun Lobby spokesman/head (stupidly) said, if guns aren't the problem, then people are. So perhaps have a go at your own (assuming American) people then, rather than mine. After all, they are the ones that seem to shoot 10x more people than we do.

    A nice comparison chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

    US Gun Info: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
    AU Gun Info: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

    To the rest of the people's here conversation, no offense was intended at you, my apologies if any was taken :/

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    Firstly, since you seem to have just made this account for this thread(be you someone else on this forum or not) and appear to have some hate for Australia (of which no-one in this thread from Australia said anything about the US or you) I would like to say Fuck You, on behalf of my country, for your lovely opinions on us.

    A comparison: Per 100,000 population, in the US (2010), 10 (10.26) people were killed by firearms, compared to 1(1.06) in Australia. That's approx 10x the difference. I'm sure that's a statistical anomaly.

    Now I'm not arguing that you shouldn't, or can't have Guns in the US, but I will take offence at your attack on Australia, since for us, this has worked out quite well.

    As one American Gun Lobby spokesman/head (stupidly) said, if guns aren't the problem, then people are. So perhaps have a go at your own (assuming American) people then, rather than mine. After all, they are the ones that seem to shoot 10x more people than we do.

    A nice comparison chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

    US Gun Info: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
    AU Gun Info: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

    To the rest of the people's here conversation, no offense was intended at you, my apologies if any was taken :/
    The problem with that statement is that going per capita on the Union rather than the State level is like saying the crime rate in all of europe per capita is X. Due to differing laws and regulations across the states crime levels are different, and some areas like Chicago and NYC have particularly bad crime rates and notably very tight regulation on firearms. Feel free to make a comparison on a state by state level, but don't mistake the Union for being a country, the states are all their own nations bound by the rules of the union much as the E.U. is not a country but a union of european nations.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Sorry, you must have misread the AU for EU, I was referring to Australia, I didn't mention the EU.

    I was comparing Australia as a whole (since we have 1 standardized set of gun laws) to the US, I do see your point of comparing at a lower level, but there isn't really much lover to compare with from here

    Also, what surprised me when I learnt about how Australia changed its gun laws, was that BOTH sides of the political parties supported the changes, the federal and opposition, so there was no arguing for the sake of a political point. Its rare that both political parties ever work together :P

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    Sorry, you must have misread the AU for EU, I was referring to Australia, I didn't mention the EU.

    I was comparing Australia as a whole (since we have 1 standardized set of gun laws) to the US, I do see your point of comparing at a lower level, but there isn't really much lover to compare with from here

    Also, what surprised me when I learnt about how Australia changed its gun laws, was that BOTH sides of the political parties supported the changes, the federal and opposition, so there was no arguing for the sake of a political point. Its rare that both political parties ever work together :P
    Well I did see it was Australia you were talking about, but I felt it was better to go with the European Union rather than the British Commonwealth for the sake of argument, because it's a better analogue for what the US is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •