Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle To Work On Mesa Driver For VirtualBox

Hybrid View

Default Oracle To Work On Mesa Driver For VirtualBox

Phoronix: Oracle To Work On Mesa Driver For VirtualBox

An Oracle engineer is beginning to look at developing a Mesa-based graphics driver for their VM VirtualBox software that could be integrated into the mainline Mesa code-base...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5MjM

The majority of games are still unplayable in virtualbox so hopefullly this new driver, however it works out, will improve the situation so that more games are playable. Wine is proving to be better for playing windows games than virtualbox.
    Last edited by duby229; 06-20-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    Wine is proving to be better for playing windows games than virtualbox.
    LOL, no kidding? That was obvious like ~8 year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    8 years ago wine couldnt even start desktop applications, let alone fullscreen 3d games. That pleasure has only been possible in the last 2-3 years. Getting better now. It seems like every 3rd release compatibility improves and more and more of my game collection is becoming playable.

8 years ago wine couldnt even start desktop applications, let alone fullscreen 3d games. That pleasure has only been possible in the last 2-3 years. Getting better now. It seems like every 3rd release compatibility improves and more and more of my game collection is becoming playable.
    My experience has been exactly the opposite of this; in the past 2-3 years I've struggled to get anything working in Wine, but eight years ago I used things like FL Studio and full screen games like Age of Empires 2 and Unreal Tournament in Wine just fine.

This year I've sunk countless hours in trying to get these things working again, with very little success.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    My experience has been exactly the opposite of this; in the past 2-3 years I've struggled to get anything working in Wine, but eight years ago I used things like FL Studio and full screen games like Age of Empires 2 and Unreal Tournament in Wine just fine.

This year I've sunk countless hours in trying to get these things working again, with very little success.
    Yeah, I can't get Baldurs Gate 2 to work anymore. But alot of games are becoming more playable. Just this last release Star Trek Online became playable. CivV improved a ton, but is still unplayable due to missing ground textures. Overall though I have to say that I'm reasonably impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    I can run FLstudio in Wine, i did so earlier this year while doing some testing. I was able to run it as both Standalone (.exe) but i actually got much better performance out of FSThost, running FL Studio as a VST plugin. This was during 1.5.2x series; http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/l-pro...io_FSThost.png. I haven't tried it with 1.6-rc2 (my patched version of wine) but i would assume it would work as well or better than in January when i was testing FL studio out.

Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Eight years ago some games had issues with being run under Wine and Wine has come a long way since that time even and will get even better in the future so then we'd be able to dump Windows entirely.

The majority of games are still unplayable in virtualbox so hopefullly this new driver, however it works out, will improve the situation so that more games are playable. Wine is proving to be better for playing windows games than virtualbox.
    The only way it could be faster than Wine is by implementing VGA passthrough. QEMU is way ahead of VirtualBox in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    The only way it could be faster than Wine is by implementing VGA passthrough. QEMU is way ahead of VirtualBox in that area.
    Well, as a gamer you know it isnt really about running faster, it's about running better.

EDIT: it's been a while since I've tried it, so my opinion here may be a bit out of date, but QEMU is one of those code churn monsters. I have yet to successfully compile it. It always craps out. If it can't be compiled, then it isnt very useful.

EDIT2: I'm trying QEMU again now. Maybe the code churn has stabilized some now.
    Last edited by duby229; 06-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.