Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Oracle To Work On Mesa Driver For VirtualBox

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    My experience has been exactly the opposite of this; in the past 2-3 years I've struggled to get anything working in Wine, but eight years ago I used things like FL Studio and full screen games like Age of Empires 2 and Unreal Tournament in Wine just fine.

    This year I've sunk countless hours in trying to get these things working again, with very little success.
    Yeah, I can't get Baldurs Gate 2 to work anymore. But alot of games are becoming more playable. Just this last release Star Trek Online became playable. CivV improved a ton, but is still unplayable due to missing ground textures. Overall though I have to say that I'm reasonably impressed.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    It's not going to happen. I will not play these quoting games with you. I'll continue to quote the whole thing and respond at once. If you arent capable of comprehending what I wrote in the context that it was written in, then that is your fault not mine. In the mean time you can continue to make your attempts to take what I said out of context by jumbling my posts together in whatever order you think you can fuck up the context in. But I refuse to stoop to that level.
    lol. you are retarded bud. I took nothing out of context, only pointed out falsehoods and inaccuracies... grow up. EDIT: i didn't reorder any of your comments either. Making fallacious claims just makes you look like a baby. I'm sorry that you don't like when people point out your mistakes, but again. grow up and get over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    You said that virtualbox wasnt designed for gaming in response to my post! What other context is there to take that in? No duh. I never said that it was. I'm pretty sure it's obvious that windows applications including games were designed to be run on windows running on hardware. That much is plainly obvious and needs no explanation. What do you suppose the point of a virtual machine is then? I can think of one usage that definitely deserves attention... GAMING!! Yes... And in this case a solid virtual GPU is a definite requirement... Which if you took the time to notice that is the ENTIRE point of the article we are responding to.
    Again, learn to read and comprehend what someone has written -> Exactly, I never claimed that *you said* that Vbox was designed for gaming; *I said* it wasn't... What i originally did say was; "Neither Virtualbox nor VMware are suitable for gaming, nor will they be anytime soon." The other so-called context to take my comment is simple - Vbox wasn't designed with gaming in mind, so it doesn't handle that situation very well at all. even this GPU driver discussed in the article, will NOT do the job. period. <- Is this too hard of a concept for you to understand??? ...lol. no, instead you draw some dumb conclusion based on your own lack of insights that has no bearing on reality, nor what i actually wrote.

    next, VMs have a ton of purposes (development, testing, access/supporting to legacy software/OS, access to software not available in host OS, portability, etc) and the point of the article was 3D acceleration, not gaming specifically. I hate to have to point out something really obvious; 3d acceleration and gaming aren't the same thing. 3d acceleration has lots of uses... More likely the importance of having proper 3d acceleration is to be able to run OS/Desktops that require it, properly. (since most modern OSes, generally do). Gaming had nothing to do with this Vbox GPU driver news, nor is it probably a motivation for Oracle.
    Last edited by ninez; 06-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    lol. you are retarded bud. I took nothing out of context, only pointed out falsehoods and inaccuracies... grow up. EDIT: i didn't reorder any of your comments either. Making fallacious claims just makes you look like a baby. I'm sorry that you don't like when people point out your mistakes, but again. grow up and get over it.



    Again, learn to read and comprehend what someone has written -> Exactly, I never claimed that *you said* that Vbox was designed for gaming; *I said* it wasn't... What i originally did say was; "Neither Virtualbox nor VMware are suitable for gaming, nor will they be anytime soon." The other so-called context to take my comment is simple - Vbox wasn't designed with gaming in mind, so it doesn't handle that situation very well at all. even this GPU driver discussed in the article, will NOT do the job. period. <- Is this too hard of a concept for you to understand??? ...lol. no, instead you draw some dumb conclusion based on your own lack of insights that has no bearing on reality, nor what i actually wrote.

    next, VMs have a ton of purposes (development, testing, access/supporting to legacy software/OS, access to software not available in host OS, portability, etc) and the point of the article was 3D acceleration, not gaming specifically. I hate to have to point out something really obvious; 3d acceleration and gaming aren't the same thing. 3d acceleration has lots of uses... More likely the importance of having proper 3d acceleration is to be able to run OS/Desktops that require it, properly. (since most modern OSes, generally do). Gaming had nothing to do with this Vbox GPU driver news, nor is it probably a motivation for Oracle.
    I never said virtualbox was designed for gaming. Trying to explain simple concepts to you is like arguing with a brick wall. Read the article. It is about virtual GPU. One obvious usage for that is gaming. Duh.

    EDIT: All I can say at this point, is thank -GOD- that you are not in a position to influence gaming on linux. All of us gamers would be fucked if you were.

    EDIT2: You said that virtualbox wasnt designed for gaming... You said that in response to my post.... What else do you expect that to mean? Maybe your native language has no concept of innuendo, implication, context, but in English it means quite a bit, and the innuendo that you put forth clearly has meaning. If -you- arent capable of comprehending what -you- wrote then maybe you should just stop.

    EDIT3: Maybe you should just wait for the code to release and try it out for yourself before you make baseless claims of what it can and cannot do.
    Last edited by duby229; 06-20-2013 at 09:32 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    My experience has been exactly the opposite of this; in the past 2-3 years I've struggled to get anything working in Wine, but eight years ago I used things like FL Studio and full screen games like Age of Empires 2 and Unreal Tournament in Wine just fine.
    I can run FLstudio in Wine, i did so earlier this year while doing some testing. I was able to run it as both Standalone (.exe) but i actually got much better performance out of FSThost, running FL Studio as a VST plugin. This was during 1.5.2x series; http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/l-pro...io_FSThost.png. I haven't tried it with 1.6-rc2 (my patched version of wine) but i would assume it would work as well or better than in January when i was testing FL studio out.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    LOL, no kidding? That was obvious like ~8 year ago.
    Eight years ago some games had issues with being run under Wine and Wine has come a long way since that time even and will get even better in the future so then we'd be able to dump Windows entirely.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    I never said virtualbox was designed for gaming. Trying to explain simple concepts to you is like arguing with a brick wall. Read the article. It is about virtual GPU. One obvious usage for that is gaming. Duh.
    i know, i've told you a slew of times - I - NEVER -SAID - THAT - YOU - DID... i said it wasn't, implying that's why gaming is so poor and why VGA passthrough is necessary... Secondly, gaming is NOT an obvious usage ~ having h/w acceleration for a desktop environment is. Do you honestly think Oracle gives a crap about gaming in Virtualbox? do you honestly think that is their motivation and what their *paying" customers are after??? ~ hint: Oracle's business with Virtualbox is not gaming ~ that should be fscking obvious, dumb ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    EDIT: All I can say at this point, is thank -GOD- that you are not in a position to influence gaming on linux. All of us gamers would be fucked if you were.
    I wouldn't be interested in that to begin with. And frankly, if i was - i would want pure native anyway. transgaming, VMs, etc are hacky, crappy way of doing things to begin with (for this kind of thing).

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    EDIT2: You said that virtualbox wasnt designed for gaming... You said that in response to my post.... What else do you expect that to mean? Maybe your native language has no concept of innuendo, implication, context, but in English it means quite a bit, and the innuendo that you put forth clearly has meaning. If -you- arent capable of comprehending what -you- wrote then maybe you should just stop.
    ..or i was just pointing out that Vbox's architecture wasn't designed for that... Sorry, but you are jumping to conclusions based on your own assumptions, nothing more. Sorry but your conclusions are bogus.

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    EDIT3: Maybe you should just wait for the code to release and try it out for yourself before you make baseless claims of what it can and cannot do.
    They aren't baseless claims, VMware destroys Vbox and it's (more advanced) gpu drivers can't handle it either. I also have a friend with a Xen setup + VGA passthrough ~ it does work fairly well. As you've been told, you really need VGA passthrough in the case of a VM for intensive games. You need the native drivers + direct access to the H/W. it's that simple.
    Last edited by ninez; 06-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    i know, i've told you a slew of times - I - NEVER -SAID - THAT - YOU - DID... i said it wasn't, implying that's why gaming is so poor and why VGA passthrough is necessary... Secondly, gaming is NOT an obvious usage ~ having h/w acceleration for a desktop environment is. Do you honestly think Oracle gives a crap about gaming in Virtualbox? do you honestly think that is their motivation and what their *paying" customers are after??? ~ hint: Oracle's business with Virtualbox is not gaming ~ that should be fscking obvious, dumb ass.



    I wouldn't be interested in that to begin with. And frankly, if i was - i would want pure native anyway. transgaming, VMs, etc are hacky, crappy way of doing things to begin with (for this kind of thing).



    ..or i was just pointing out that Vbox's architecture wasn't designed for that... Sorry, but you are jumping to conclusions based on your own assumptions, nothing more. Sorry but your conclusions are bogus.



    They aren't baseless claims, VMware destroys Vbox and it's (more advanced) gpu drivers can't handle it either. I also have a friend with a Xen setup + VGA passthrough ~ it does work fairly well. As you've been told, you really need VGA passthrough in the case of a VM for intensive games. You need the native drivers + direct access to the H/W. it's that simple.
    I really hope that this code comes out kickin' ass and stomping through games. I can't wait to revisit this thread.

    How many more time do I have to say this.... I NEVER SAID IT WAS DESIGNED FOR GAMING DUMBASS.... It doesnt have to be. It just has to support a functional proper virtual GPU with decent performance. It doesnt have to be the fastest solution. It just has to be a playable solution..
    Last edited by duby229; 06-20-2013 at 09:55 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    I really hope that this code comes out kickin' ass and stomping through games. I can't wait to revisit this thread.
    You're going to be waiting a long time, have fun with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    I
    How many more time do I have to say this.... I NEVER SAID IT WAS DESIGNED FOR GAMING DUMBASS.... It doesnt have to be. It just has to support a functional proper virtual GPU with decent performance. It doesnt have to be the fastest solution. It just has to be a playable solution..
    HILARIOUS!!! did you not read what i wrote; "I - NEVER - SAID - THAT - YOU - DID" ~ you replied to this comment, asking how many more times you have to say that you never said it was designed for gaming?!?!?... holy crap, LEARN TO READ *or* do not respond at all...fsking moron, straight up. Seriously, i can't believe you would quote my comment where i clearly stated that you didn't say that... are you retarded?? I've said this multiple times now, how many more times do i have to write it out, before you get it?!?!?!

    I never claimed that you said that Virtualbox was designed for gaming.
    I never claimed that you said that Virtualbox was designed for gaming.
    I never claimed that you said that Virtualbox was designed for gaming.
    I never claimed that you said that Virtualbox was designed for gaming.... Does this help you, moron?
    Last edited by ninez; 06-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    You're going to be waiting a long time, have fun with that.
    If it isnt virtualbox then it will be vmware, or xen, or qemu. Somebody will come up with something, and when they do, I'll be the first to throw this thread right back in your face.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    If it isnt virtualbox then it will be vmware, or xen, or qemu. Somebody will come up with something, and when they do, I'll be the first to throw this thread right back in your face.
    they already have it's called VGA passthrough.

    EDIT: lolz lolz lolz lolz...

    ...you gonna throw that back in my face or what? lolz.
    Last edited by ninez; 06-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •