Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8-Way Desktop Comparison On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux

Cool Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frett View Post
    Gosh, I totally agree. It's so darn customizable too, you can rearrange it to your hearts content. And I see a lot of people complain about Gaming issues on KDE/Gnome/Unity obviously related to Compiz etc but in XFCE I have yet to have any issues. I wish more people would use XFCE, especially Linux Gamers. I've got mine set-up in old win98 style with the dock removed and the top bar on the bottom. "Menu-separator(handle)-custom launchers as a quick launch-separator(dots)-window buttons-separator(dots)-network monitor, notification area,weather update-separator(handle)-clock(LCD)"

It's clean and simple and stays out of my way. Theme: Appearance (Clearlooks) Window manager (Clearlooks-Xfce-Classic). But I usually use: Appearance (Shiki-brave) Window manager (classic-ambiance-orange-xfce-lxde)
    I would also use it personally if I hadn't become addicted to tiling-wm's ^^.
    The big plus you get is that setting Debian up with Xfce usually works out of the box. You plug a printer in: it works. You need a bluetooth-mouse? Set it up.
    With my advanced experience from Gentoo GNU/Linux, I'm able to solve deeper issues, if any exist, with ease, by jumping right into the necessary steps. But that didn't happen to me yet.

If more people knew about Xfce, more people would use GNU/Linux.

There is a bug in gnome-shell 3.8 that prevents unredirection of fullscreen windows to work see: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=701224 (fix will be in 3.8.4).

Quote Originally Posted by rambutan View Post
    Why would anyone use Compiz with KDE? These Ubuntuers are crazy!
    >obviously related to Compiz etc

Just a hunch, but I think he's talking about high-end compositors in general.

Razor-Qt does not come with a WM. Which one was used here?

Bug in Gnome Shell prevents it from direct-rendering, and Kwin doesn't enable it by default due to buggy graphics drivers (Michael didnt say he DID enable it, so we have to assume he left defaults)... both results are invalid until the bug is fixed and Michael enables KDE direct-rendering

Quote Originally Posted by kUrb1a View Post
    I guess if no one will say it I will. What in the hell is going on with Gnome and Kde to have this poor performance.Is this some kind of regression or Unity improved allot.Can someone comment on Kde 4.11 if they are running on Kubuntu or Suse.

Unity improved alot. KDE and Shell improved too, just not as much. Maybe Ubuntu listened to the "gasp" users.

well, that explains all the hate from KDE. its just business competition

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Unity improved alot. KDE and Shell improved too, just not as much. Maybe Ubuntu listened to the "gasp" users.
    The shell did indeed improve but none of this improvements can be seen here due to a "last minute bug" (see my last post), which is now fixed in git and will be in the release / point release.

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe what I said

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yeah Unity is getting better with each release now. In terms of game performance it's pretty good, especially compared from what it was a year ago. But what is happening with KDE if I may ask? Why are they so behind?
    See my above post, BO$$