Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 244

Thread: Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I'm thinking of getting a PS4 and dual-booting it with steamOS.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    100

    Thumbs up

    "...the heart of the Sony PS4 is an AMD eight-core APU with Radeon graphics. There isn't a Catalyst driver available for any BSD operating system right now..."

    The interesting thing here is, the obvious potential (3D)Catalyst Driver coming to FreeBSD 10 ? It would likely be proprietary, like nvidia and amd(catalyst) are on Linux, but at least now, *BSD users can finally enjoy a full and rich Catalyst driver -hopefully.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a PS4 and dual-booting it with steamOS.
    ...too early to tell, but definitely a best of both worlds concept.
    The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
    Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    "...the heart of the Sony PS4 is an AMD eight-core APU with Radeon graphics. There isn't a Catalyst driver available for any BSD operating system right now..."

    The interesting thing here is, the obvious potential (3D)Catalyst Driver coming to FreeBSD 10 ? It would likely be proprietary, like nvidia and amd(catalyst) are on Linux, but at least now, *BSD users can finally enjoy a full and rich Catalyst driver -hopefully.
    I doubt it. For Catalyst to be useful to a FreeBSD 10 user, it have to support X.org, and I don't think that's what Sony is going to use for their graphic stack.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    ...too early to tell, but definitely a best of both worlds concept.
    The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
    Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.
    ...oh and talkin' but Micro$oft, they can take their xBox and shove it, while closing the door behind them.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    I doubt it. For Catalyst to be useful to a FreeBSD 10 user, it have to support X.org, and I don't think that's what Sony is going to use for their graphic stack.
    Sony itself may not, but then again -> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0Nzk

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    Sony itself may not, but then again -> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0Nzk
    I don't see how this is related to Catalyst...

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    ...too early to tell, but definitely a best of both worlds concept.
    The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
    Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.
    Yeah. Having games on BSD would be great but I think the fastest way that would happen is through the linux emulation base, which needs updated to get them going on BSD.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    I don't see how this is related to Catalyst...
    It's called future potential AMD "GPU" Drivers on BSD platform OS's, just like Linux has via Catalyst drivers, can you not read between the lines a bit here, it's NOT ALL just about Linux, -u're in the wrong thread bubba.

    Don't you guys have enough linux threads here to gloat over err what?

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    It's called future potential AMD "GPU" Drivers on BSD platform OS's, just like Linux has via Catalyst drivers, can you not read between the lines a bit here, it's NOT ALL just about Linux, -u're in the wrong thread bubba.

    Don't you guys have enough linux threads here to gloat over err what?
    Your answer is completely irrelevant to the point. KMS, which is related to open source support, has anything to do with Catalyst? Yes or no. The one who put Linux on this talk was you, not me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •