Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mozilla Firefox 22 Is Now Available

Hybrid View

Default Mozilla Firefox 22 Is Now Available

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 22 Is Now Available

Mozilla developers have now uploaded Firefox 22 to the web...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5NTA

Every time they release a new version, I see "performance improvements". The truth is that firefox performance sucks, it feels slow*, runs slow and crashes often.

*On a Dual Core 3Ghz processor with 4GB of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Every time they release a new version, I see "performance improvements". The truth is that firefox performance sucks, it feels slow*, runs slow and crashes often.

Same here, on a midrange SNB Laptop, 4GB. Firefox feels slower with each release. Example? Filling Text edits with some paragraphs -> selecting can take up to 2 seconds (here), completely freezing the browser. Did not experience this with <19.x (currently running 21.0).

have you tried running with a fresh profile or with any pluggins you have disabled?

... compared to what?

At least its not slow-like-chrome. That bitch is useless-slow.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    ... compared to what?

At least its not slow-like-chrome. That bitch is useless-slow.
    Both Firefox and Chrome work great on my dual core.

Firefox (21) doesn’t crash often at all here, but it does crash on some game/physics JS engines demos.

I have to agree that the most annoying “feature” of FF is its mono-threaded design causing an unresponsive UI during page loading.

Firefox is working just fine here on an i5 Sandy Bridge, dualcore + HT, 4GB of RAM. No crashes, no hangs, no choppiness, nothing -- and thats with a lot of addons installed.

Those of you having problems... bug in FOSS drivers (if youre using them)? Corrupted profile? Something else hogging CPU/GPU? Bad combination of addons?

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    Firefox (21) doesn’t crash often at all here, but it does crash on some game/physics JS engines demos.

I have to agree that the most annoying “feature” of FF is its mono-threaded design causing an unresponsive UI during page loading.
    It's most definitely not "mono-threaded", take a look at all the threads it uses (tip: threads don't appear as processes).

Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    Both Firefox and Chrome work great on my dual core.
    Same here, I can't say I notice any real performance difference (though that doesn't mean there isn't any), Chrome does use more RAM for me though, but not by any huge amount.

From a user standpoint I can't really recommend one over the other, I find myself using Firefox as my primary browser more out of habit than anything else.