Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Finally!

Even though it's too late for me. I already switched to nvidia. But changes like this just might make me switch back when i upgrade again

It works. Tested on my lappy. Cool and quiet. Needs new firmware, that was missing in the email.

This is simply brilliant news, I offer my sincere thanks and congratulations to everybody involved in making this happen.

I was delighted that we got UVD support, and then to follow it up so soon with power management was more than I dared hope for :-)

Quote Originally Posted by c0un7d0wn View Post
    It works. Tested on my lappy. Cool and quiet. Needs new firmware, that was missing in the email.
    any link to the new firmware, please?

edit: nvm found it !!
    Last edited by roidm; 06-26-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Finally! Keep up the good work

My Question is. If i watch an Movie with UVD, he is Using the UVD Clocks (e.g. 400 Mhz). up to this point all is fine. If i now start an 3D app that need the full power (e.g. 850Mhz) what do now the new code? The Catalyst is so stupid and clock down to 400Mhz unless an 3D App is running.

Please don't do the same Fault! Its Annoying to Flash the Bios and chance the UVD Entrys to the Max Settings.
    Last edited by Nille; 06-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roidm View Post
    any link to the new firmware, please?

edit: nvm found it !!
    Where did you find the firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? The open source driver that AMD provides will be superior to their closed source driver as soon as this update hits? Really?
    As far as I know the closed source driver is still faster than open source. It could be that it also has compatability for higher OpenGL Versions.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    As far as I know the closed source driver is still faster than open source. It could be that it also has compatability for higher OpenGL Versions.
    Both of these are true. However, the performance difference isn't as large as you might expect, I think it's generally around 60-70%. OpenGL 4.2 is supported in Catalyst, open source drivers have 3.1 (but with 3.2 and 3.3 being close - possibly in the next version of Mesa).

I'm *really* looking forward to some new benchmarks with this new code!
    Last edited by archibald; 06-26-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added details on OpenGL versions

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Where did you find the firmware?
    Probably here:
    http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/