Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Mir 0.0.5 Released; Kubuntu Will Stick To X/Wayland

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    No it is not. XMir is a backend for X.org. It exactly the same implementation. The X.org server is then a client for Mir.

    It uses the exactly same libaries. It's just a different backend.

    It does add another layer; Mir itself. It will goes like this:

    KWin -> X.org -> "Hardware"
    to
    KWin -> X.org/XMir -> Mir -> "Hardware"
    mmm, I see, then I guess we are left with some really needed benchmarks to see how much this affects the performance.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    KWin -> X.org/XMir -> Mir -> "Hardware"
    Don't forget that Mir is totally unneeded here as XMir does all the compositing. All Mir does is receiving the rendered image from XMir and printing it on the screen (like a full screen window). So in fact X is doing all the work here and Mir is just a unneeded layer.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Don't forget that Mir is totally unneeded here as XMir does all the compositing. All Mir does is receiving the rendered image from XMir and printing it on the screen (like a full screen window). So in fact X is doing all the work here and Mir is just a unneeded layer.
    So thats the same method used on XWayland?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    I'm going to install Kubuntu on XMir. Where's your god now.
    I think "He" is probably smiling thinking at what happens when you resize an Xmir window.
    Didn't you ask yourself why in that youtube video the windows are never resized ?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    So thats the same method used on XWayland?
    Yes. The idea is to run only specific apps with XWayland/XMir not entire desktops like it's done here. So you get the real benefits later when you run most of your apps natively on Mir/Wayland.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Yes. The idea is to run only specific apps with XWayland/XMir not entire desktops like it's done here. So you get the real benefits later when you run most of your apps natively on Mir/Wayland.
    That makes things clear.

    I'm looking forward for some benchmarks to see how performance is affected at all because of rendering the image with Mir instead of X itself.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    well in the case of xwayland it actually faster than native Xorg due to the way wayland works[i explained 400 times look for it in the forum] but in the case of XMir is not clear since even if do thing similarly is still quite different compared to wayland, beside wayland support a wide set feature that aren't still present[or ever will] in Mir that really helps certain operations to happen with lot less roundtrips like EXA.

    as other thing Mir don't support bufferage extension that im aware of, so im not sure how they will deal with VSync and partial damage on screen when compositing

    i guess it will be test and see[not me tho i don't give a rat ass about ubuntu anymore, gentoo is my mistress now]

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    I'm going to install Kubuntu on XMir. Where's your god now.
    Best quote in this mir vs wayland issue! laughed my ass off ;p

    (btw, that quote shows really good what this is all about. its not about technical issue solving but politics and emotions (and religion))

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    The Kubuntu developer is right. There is literally zero reason to use Mir right now. X will continue to be supported in the mean while, so running Kubuntu on XMir is just adding an additional potential source of bugs for no benefit. It makes no sense to do so. If there are some Mir-specific programs that would be very useful on Kubuntu, the issue could be revisited. On the other hand, by that time KDE Frameworks 5 will probably be finished, thus Wayland will be the obvious choice for them.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k1l_ View Post
    Best quote in this mir vs wayland issue! laughed my ass off ;p

    (btw, that quote shows really good what this is all about. its not about technical issue solving but politics and emotions (and religion))
    Why thank you. (Takes a bow) I'm glad someone saw what I was doing there. ;p

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •