Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel Patches Start Coming For 2013 MacBook Air

Default Kernel Patches Start Coming For 2013 MacBook Air

Phoronix: Kernel Patches Start Coming For 2013 MacBook Air

The Linux support for Apple's new Haswell-based MacBook Air is less than desirable, but at least it's on the path to getting better...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5OTk

Default lol

what wast of time, people give the money to apple and have the trouble to make mac air working on linux.

Some patches are better than no patches. Thinking about picking up the macbook Air for my next ultra-portable if I don't get a tablet, I'm loving the long battery life on my current Dell XPS 13z

Like it or not Apple still makes some of the best HW. Expensive yes. Beautiful also.

And its sad that we don't have a HW company dedicated to linux with that eye for design and integration.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Like it or not Apple still makes some of the best HW. Expensive yes. Beautiful also.
    Excuse me? Exactly what part of that hardware does Apple actually "make"? The processor? The GPU? The harddrive maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Excuse me? Exactly what part of that hardware does Apple actually "make"? The processor? The GPU? The harddrive maybe?
    Assembles the whole thing. Or designs if you wish. Some things are more than the sum of their parts.

hopefully the Broadcom 80211ac driver will make it upstream.

That driver is not present in the official Broadcom STA proprietary driver and it appears that Ubuntu's Broadcom STA driver sources are maintained out-of-tree, because the official Broadcom STA driver has been stuck at v5.1x while Ubuntu's STA driver that supports the new 80211ac chipset is tagged at version 6.30
    Last edited by Sonadow; 07-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Some patches are better than no patches. Thinking about picking up the macbook Air for my next ultra-portable if I don't get a tablet, I'm loving the long battery life on my current Dell XPS 13z
    Considering that Apples have batteries soldered, its life is not that long compared to Dell and co...

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Assembles the whole thing. Or designs if you wish. Some things are more than the sum of their parts.
    Yeah, which is why it'd make more sense to say "Hands down, Apple still wraps up your regular PC hardware in the best looking way possible, and also charges you twice for it".

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Considering that Apples have batteries soldered, its life is not that long compared to Dell and co...
    Doesn't have to last forever, I tend to trade out laptops once every 3years or so (about the same time the accident protection warranty is up by then new GPU's and CPU's are out with better performance AND better power savings which makes upgrading a reasonable thing.