Qt 5.1 Finally Released With Lots Of Good Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Im glad we have reached some sort of agreement. Digia do differ between the free and non-free versions on the website. That is a start. Regarding the term "Free edition" I suggest you go read the definition agreed upon by Digia and KDE. It is all written in the agreement. It would be much easier for everyone if you could use the same terms as me, KDE and Digia.
    Feel free to create a non-CLA fork of Qt. I'll support your work.

Comment

It is all written in the agreement. It would be much easier for everyone if you could use the same terms as me, KDE and Digia.
      The agreement says nothing about Digia. It talks about a toolkit by Nokia for the “KDE Window System”. I’m interested to obtain this “KDE Window System”. Where do I get it? Maybe it’s a good alternative to my current KDE Plasma Desktop 4.11.
      Considering it uses a toolkit by Nokia I assume it’s software for Windows Phone 8?

Comment

You really have to read the agreement. Sure KDE did not make it easy because they decided to release it as a bunch of jpgs. The agreement defines Qt as "Qt for the X window system". This is done to limit the scope of the agreement. So yes this adds a lot of questions. Qt moves to other platforms and Linux is about to ditch X.

Regarding the Digia vs Nokia issue. Digia have posted a letter of confirmation. They can not skip this agreement. This is written in a pdf so this is seperated from the jpgs. Quite annoying yes but not my fault.
        Regardless of the wording in the agreement. What?s the status of your CLA-free Qt fork?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          GTK 2 reached end of life. PCMan (LXDE project lead) does not like GTK3 and is not interested in a GTK3 port.
          Have a look at the Lubuntu mailing list. Recently there was a discussion about display servers. One of the Lubuntu devs wrote (and I'm paraphrasing from memory here) that LXDE in a post-X11 world is a question that must be faced at some point. Given that GTK2 will never run natively under Wayland but Qt 5 already does, IMO is the outcome is clear.
          Well, maybe. It's theoretically possible that someone could take over maintainership of GTK2 and port it to Wayland. Not sure why anyone would do that, but it's possible. People have started dumber projects out of boredom.

I don't really care too much what the LXDE guys do tbh, as I no longer have any hardware that is slow enough to require using as lightweight a distro (had an old laptop, it got drenched in water... don't ask) so if they want to use Qt, and think it's the best choice for them, good for them. There will still be Xfce and MATE using GTK, though.

Yes and GTK3 is not a high priority.
          Not a high priority? The dev wiki has a roadmap, with the top 3 items being

Support layer masks on layer groups
          Cleanup libgimp (including major changes to plugin registration API, work in progress)
          Port to GTK3
          It's third on the list, seems like quite a high priority to me (there's over 10 other items below it on the list). GTK3 support is planned for 3.0, which will be the version after the next version (2.10). And the porting is already in progress, there's already a GTK3-branch of GIMP in the git tree. I think it's more likely that GIMP is such a large project (relative to the available manpower) that they have to look at what is feasible with the resources, porting to GTK3 is a big undertaking and takes lots of work. I think the GIMP devs just want to get the GTK3 port done by the time Wayland migration starts, so that GIMP can run on Wayland natively.

Comment

So far Im the only one who have read and understood the agreement.
            Are you a lawyer? Don't you think that lawyers have extensively checked that? What does you make think you know better than them?

Comment

to honton
              ok some clear facts

1.) Qt agreement is not affected by Wayland or Mir [lawyer certified]
              2.) Qt coding process is 100% done by qtproject.org[i mean 100% like 100%], then once a release is tagged[again by qtproject.org and subsystem maintainers] the code is still 100% in qtproject.org, so 1 week before release digia clone the branch and [in some cases] fast lane patches[from qtproject.org] to their release branch to add or restore features needed for the pay customers[mostly is deprecated features in the OSS version that a big fat paying client require for ABI compatibility]
              3.) there is only 2 or 3 exceptions like Qt for VxWorks[this OS forbid opencode] and other uber closed plataforms that nobody cared what happens to it.
              4.) all the code already present in qtproject.org is not affected by this because you cannot re license the lgpl code, this is for every new code that digia/community generate binded by those conditions until it reach the lgpl status, digia can copy the code and add a second license but never can scrap the lgpl one[that is why is called dual license and not merged license]
              5.) this means that all the windows/mac/android/ios/X11/wayland support already in the qtproject.org repository will stay there for the eternity and lgpl
              6.) this agreement basically said if digia release the closed license version of qt[except the one i mentioned before] with an additional feature there have to be a patch in qtproject.org in lgpl form or we fork this crap and middle finger for you[that again digia won't do, is a business suicide]
              7.) this free qt for x11 thing is tackling the doubts about maintain control of previous qt version [qt3/2/1], so if eventually that code need to be touched again will be binded by the same conditions[ free qt for x11 is how it was done in trolltech times, where you had separeted codebases this is no longer happening beyond compilation process this days]

quoted wrong post
              Last edited by jrch2k8; 04 July 2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Well, maybe. It's theoretically possible that someone could take over maintainership of GTK2 and port it to Wayland. Not sure why anyone would do that, but it's possible. People have started dumber projects out of boredom.
                Qt will the better maintained project nonetheless.

Comment

I did not state the agreement was void. I stated it had no value. No lawyers are needed.
                  So what you basically are saying is: I am not a lawyer, but I am better as them in their specific field, I don't need to study for that a few years, and you all are to stupid to see that I am the one with the truth.

Sorry, but you have just disqualified yourself from any serious discussion about this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                    I think Honton is the new funkSTAR.
                    No, he is funkSTAR.

Comment

Falsehood

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                      No, he is funkSTAR.
                      Funkstar suddenly stopped writing in: 12 March 2013.
                      "Honton" suddenly joined Phoronix in: 14 April 2013.

Funkstar-Prankster fools no one. The falsehood has been discovered again.

There are a lot of false commentators out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X