Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD To Exploit OpenCL Potential In LibreOffice

Default AMD To Exploit OpenCL Potential In LibreOffice

Phoronix: AMD To Exploit OpenCL Potential In LibreOffice

AMD has joined The Document Foundation's Advisory Board to take on a supporting role of accelerating LibreOffice in new ways...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMjc

While I absolutely don't see the great benefit of having GPGPU support in a "spreadsheet" application,
    this raises my hopes to see more OpenCL-backends in other applications in the near future (developed by AMD, intel, etc.).

There are other speed-ups for big spreadsheets on the way as well.
    https://people.gnome.org/~michael/bl...-the-hood.html

Personally I would just be happy if amd bumps up its opengl performance and makes its closed source linux drivers on par with windows as I am not that much of an open source fetishist to need it open source.

Quote Originally Posted by qlum View Post
    Personally I would just be happy if amd bumps up its opengl performance and makes its closed source linux drivers on par with windows as I am not that much of an open source fetishist to need it open source.
    I mean maybe from a developer persepective I could understand how somebody could want that, but from a user perspective that makes no sense... as user if you feel that way, just buy a nvidia card and let the amd guys there freedom.

some users dont want nsa-backdoor-updates from nvidia...

Quote Originally Posted by qlum View Post
    When KWin and GDM3 support across their respective DE's OpenGL 3.x then you'll see more improvements across all applications spaces, including games on Linux. It's going to happen, sooner, rather than later.

The work for LLVM/Clang on AMD is churning right along.

Its easy to say to change to nvidia, but performance in OpenCL its even worse in open source drivers unless you use closed source, but yet Nvidia GTX 600/700 are slow as F*** in OpenCL

Everyday in this forum comes news of improvements from AMD, they are really trying hard and that is something we don't see everyday especially from them.
    Libreoffice is slow too when you start to mess with Graphics and things like that, sure its not a trully good improment, but it is something that will be supported.
    They trully seem to much keen to give support to open-source things.
    By the logic why they just didn't give support to m$ office, and came to support libreoffice which have so much less users?

I'm betting that amd support will tend to get better results, because at least me i already notice they are trying hard to implement things that they should have been done years ago, now they just want to make it all for linux in world record time attack.

AMD support and pushing for OpenCL in LO is good sign.

And do not forget that they will (most) probably develop OpenCL unit tests, and other such stuff.

Since that is already FLOSS, AMD FLOSS devs wont have trouble with proting them to MESA.
    (BTW is AMD team sharing OGL, OCL UT's and conformance tests between FLOSS and non-FLOSS??)

I think OpenCL in Blender 3D is more important than in LibreOffice. The Blender developers say that AMD is not cooperating with them to have good OpenCL support.
    Last edited by YAFU; 07-04-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    I think OpenCL in Blender 3D is more important than in LibreOffice.
    Maybe, but Blender is not an First Class User program.

Quote Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    The Blender developers say that AMD is not cooperating with them to have good OpenCL support.
    What was asked and how was the answer?