AMD To Exploit OpenCL Potential In LibreOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    They dont have an Problem with OpenCL because they use CUDA for Cycles and not OpenCL.
    The renderer supports both CUDA and OpenCL. I've seen videos of Cycles running on Nvidia gpus using OpenCL, even though the default is CUDA.

Comment

What has AMD say about this?
      They are working on it, or something like that...

But it seems to be a larger change affecting the whole compiler.

Comment

They dont have an Problem with OpenCL because they use CUDA for Cycles and not OpenCL.
        Originally posted by entropy View Post
        That seems questionable for an open-source project...
        No, you are wrong. Search the Internet and read about it, there's a lot written there.
        Blender not choose CUDA over OpenCL. Just CUDA works, and there are problems with OpenCL. In fact, you can use OpenCL with Intel and nVidia in Cycles. With ATI too, but there are problems.
        Blender needs AMD work with them to achieve a good performance in Cycles using OpenCL.

Comment

This picture sums it up with great eloquence.

You're using the fucking wrong tool for the job if your spreadsheet is that heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            You're using the fucking wrong tool for the job if your spreadsheet is that heavy.
            Lmao

To me it looks more like one of those "you've got this new shiny hammer and suddenly everything starts looking like a nail" problems.

Comment

linux needs something like grand central dispatch, where the OpenCL potential is used transparently and without much effort from the developer.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                linux needs something like grand central dispatch, where the OpenCL potential is used transparently and without much effort from the developer.
                unless the wikipedia article on grand central dispatch is very wrong it has nothing to do with GPUs or OpenCL. Its just a nice library/language extension for writing multi-threaded code. Its more of a competitor to something like openMP.

Comment

That looks like a nice thing to work on. I know that one netbook I maintain could definitely use such a performance boost on LibreOffice.

Also, hey, this is specifically for HSA, so most likely Bridgman is working on it himself.

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                  Are you kidding me, right?
                  blenderartists.org is much more active and with more users than any LibreOffice forum I know.
                  Forums are a very bad measure of activity. In order to do pretty much anything with Blender, you need to ask around on a forum. You don't need forums in order to achieve pretty much any tasks on LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    That looks like a nice thing to work on. I know that one netbook I maintain could definitely use such a performance boost on LibreOffice.

Also, hey, this is specifically for HSA, so most likely Bridgman is working on it himself.

Forums are a very bad measure of activity. In order to do pretty much anything with Blender, you need to ask around on a forum. You don't need forums in order to achieve pretty much any tasks on LibreOffice.
                    In support of that, I would suggest referring to Debian's popcon numbers:

libreoffice-calc leads by far.

As far as Cycles OpenCL goes: see http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...883#post330883
                    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Cycles may be in the cards, but last time I tried to compile their shaders (several months ago), they were not working, and looked like they broke some of the CL standard... but it was hard to tell, given that it was all CUDA code that was ported/translated through pre-processor macros.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Well, for me the Blender forum is a good place for measurement. For example, you may know that there are much more than only 3 (ironic) users as "droidhacker" said (whom I had answered) buying the most expensive nVidia cards models on the market only for use with Cycles in Blender. In many cases, more than one card to build render farms. Also I can see in the forum that Blender is being increasingly used by many companies in the professional environment. So, to me that is a good way to measure something on the forum and is something that AMD/ATI should consider.

Comment

Working...
                      X